Macbook Air Keyboard Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DavidBlack, Feb 5, 2014.

1. DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

Hi, I have a 2011 Macbook Air and one day I woke up and a bunch of keys just stopped working :( The caps lock, Tab, delete key and option key on the right side stopped working. Now I don't live in the U.S and there isn't any apple store or apple authorized service provides here and I don't have a visa. Can anyone help me? Please!

2. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

David,
    One option to consider is a replacement keyboard, not a top case which is the palm rest, keyboard, trackpad, casing, etc. They can be purchased from eBay, Amazon, and are generally removed from non functioning MBA, or third party replacements. I purchased a used keyboard from a non functioning MacBook for my Late 08 for approx. $20. iFixIt or other online tutorials can break down the actual steps for your specific model to replace the keyboard. Its a little involved, but if you follow the steps carefully, and thoroughly, the repair can be done successfully. This all depends on the keyboard being your issue. Based on what you described, that seems to be the case. Any chance of liquid getting onto/into the laptop? That generally will destroy the cabling for the keyboard, possibly more. eBay accepts PayPal which can be linked to an actual bank account. It's possible you could pay cash for a pre-paid Visa/MasterCard and use that for the purchase.

Attempting this can result in you saving a significant amount of money. But that goes with those who are able to perform the replacement.

3. cyber16 macrumors 6502

Just a little liquid onto/into the trackpad can also be the cause, usually most keys would not work.
    The underside of the trackpad contains the USB keyboard controller.
    That is were the ribbon cable from the keyboard plugs into.
    It is not all the difficult to remove the back cover, disconnect and remove the battery. At which point you can gain access to the connector the hold the ribbon cable from the keyboard. Maybe removing it an re-seating it will help so long as there is no liquid damage.
    Just this past weekend I replace a trackpad in a mid 2011 13" due to a small spill on the track pad that killed both keyboard & trackpad usb controller chips house on the underside of the trackpad.
    Mid 2011 13"
    http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Air_13"_Mid_2011

Mid 2011 11"
    http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Air_11"_Mid_2011

I agree the whole keyboard can be replaced diy for about $30-$40 usd, just take your time in doing so.

4. DavidBlack thread starter macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

Thanks for all you're replies :) But I have never did anything like this before and also I have never spilled any liquid on it. This is the guide I will have to use right?
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+11-Inch+Mid+2011+Upper+Case+Replacement/10031