Macbook Air Keyboard Suddenly Stop Working!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DavidBlack, Aug 28, 2013.

1. DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

Hi, guys my macbook air late 2011 has been working fine for most of time. But this morning I found out some keys just don't work! the option key on the left side of the keyboard doesn't work, the caps lock, the fn, delete and the arrow keys. All of a sudden. Can anyone help its all worth knowing that my 1 years warranty is over.

2. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

I'm assuming you didn't purchase AppleCare before your original warranty expired?

The multiple keys not responding certainly sounds like a failed keyboard but you typically see stripes of keys fail. For instance, the last failure I saw was the F8, 9, O, L & > keys stopped responding.

You might try to boot to your recovery disk (holding command + R while powering on) to see if the keys respond there. If all seems normal while booted to the recovery disk then you're likely dealing with a software issue of some sort.

Alternately, if you don't have a firmware/EFI password set, you can try to reset the PRAM. This will accomplish two things, if it's able to reset the PRAM then it's a lot less likely to be a hardware issue & the act of doing this might just clear up the problem. Alternately, if the reset isn't accomplished then it's a lot more likely to be a hardware problem. You can reset the PRAM by powering on your Mac while holding "command + option + P +R", continuing to hold those keys until you've heard it chime twice. If it never chimes twice and instead boots then it's not able to reset the PRAM, pointing to a hardware problem.

Assuming it is a hardware problem you would need to replace the top case, typically a $250~ repair ($150~ for the part, $100 labor) through most AASPs.

3. DavidBlack thread starter macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

Thanks I have tried all the thinks you mentioned above and I even did a clean install still the keys don't work :(. I called apple and the repair cost estimate is $300 :mad:

4. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

did you spill water on it?

5. DavidBlack thread starter macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

No, that's why I find it strange that all of a suddenly some keys stopped working.

6. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

well...it's a machine...sometimes they stop working.
    you can go on ifixit and see what it would take to fix it yourself, but i had a similar problem on my 2009 macbook and the upper assembly cost about $250 by itself.

7. DavidBlack thread starter macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

Thanks for the input… but I rather send it to apple for repairs I don't think I would mind paying the $300 dollars.

8. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

well that was what i was implying you should do mate;)

sorry this happened...maybe they can fix it without replacing the assembly and save you some money. good luck!