Macbook air keyboard Won't type one letter.

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by 10smom, Oct 18, 2016.

1. 10smom macrumors regular

10smom

This started after I restarted my computer. How do I fix?

2. 10smom thread starter macrumors regular

10smom

Update 10/19 I just noticed that if I hit the shift key the letter will type. The letter is the letter A by the way

3. MC6800 macrumors 6502

First thing I would check would be System Preferences>Language & Region>Keyboard Preferences>Input Sources to see if it still has the right keyboard selected.

4. 10smom thread starter macrumors regular

10smom

Hey now it is Working intermittently. It seems that something is triggering it to happen I think I have an undetected virus.

5. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

A virus that randomly blocks one key? That would be the most stupid virus I've ever heard of.

6. MC6800 macrumors 6502

It's much more likely to be an unintentional assignment of a key macro (shortcut) to that key. Check in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts, where you can look through the various assignments, or just click the Restore Defaults button. If you have a keyboard macro program installed, try disabling it.

It might also be a flakey keyboard: Turn on the keyboard viewer by enabling System Preferences > Keyboard > "Show keyboard viewers in menu bar", then select "Show keyboard viewer" in that new menu. Now you should see immediately when that 'a' key is pressed, shifted or not.

Another thing to try is an external keyboard if you have one.