Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
Just purchased my new MBA 11'' last week.

All is fine until I noticed that my "Enter" key presses more easily than other keys.

I decided to take a picture and noted that the "Enter" key is actually higher raised than the "\" key, yet I feel the "Enter" key is more mushy. Also it seems like the "\" key is lower than the "backspace" key.

Anyways, probably the only that's bothered by this, but does anyone else have similar experiences. I don't think this warrants an exchange because everything else is perfect (screen, SSD), but it bugs me :confused:

Someone beat some sense into me.

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    415.8 KB · Views: 237

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
If it is really bothering you, take it into an Apple Store and tell them. I know that I am extremely picky about my keyboards, but I can't say that the keyboard on my Air has given me any trouble over the last two years.

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
If it is really bothering you, take it into an Apple Store and tell them. I know that I am extremely picky about my keyboards, but I can't say that the keyboard on my Air has given me any trouble over the last two years.

Don't think if it's really bothering me. I didn't really notice it until I looked into it. I have 1 year warranty on it and if it starts to worsen til where it affects performance, then maybe I'll ask them to look at it.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
i wouldn't sweat it unless it is affecting your everyday use or not performing as you believe it should. Some keys may feel slightly different than others given the manufacturing tolerances that exist.

Keep in mind with these unibody machines if you want them to fix 1 key, its an entire top case replacement which requires the genius to switch all the internals and display over to a new casing.

I wouldn't have my entire machine rebuilt for an enter key.

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

agentphish said:
i wouldn't sweat it unless it is affecting your everyday use or not performing as you believe it should. Some keys may feel slightly different than others given the manufacturing tolerances that exist.

Keep in mind with these unibody machines if you want them to fix 1 key, its an entire top case replacement which requires the genius to switch all the internals and display over to a new casing.

I wouldn't have my entire machine rebuilt for an enter key.

Thanks for the insight on the replacement process. I didn't rally notice I until I pressed the enter key a bit hard and wanted to check if I broke the key. I guess it's not possible for me to have damaged that enter key and the difference in feeling is due to manufacturing tolerance and not due to me pressing it hard once as I am sure there are a lot of people who presses keys hard all the time and their keys don't sink.

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY

Certainly the information that I wanted to know. I was curious about what my options are in terms of replacing the keyboard if it's deemed necessary (for any reasons really) - coming from the BlackBook era(?) I've been accustomed to simply swapping out the top case myself but it looks like the unibody Macs aren't 'aftermarket friendly' per se.

I just purchased a Moshi cover for my keyboard on that note lol :D

macbookme

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
Certainly the information that I wanted to know. I was curious about what my options are in terms of replacing the keyboard if it's deemed necessary (for any reasons really) - coming from the BlackBook era(?) I've been accustomed to simply swapping out the top case myself but it looks like the unibody Macs aren't 'aftermarket friendly' per se.

Thumb up for great idea.

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010

Haha, I've purchased a Moshi cover myself after reading this. I will use it for a couple more days and then post a review of it =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.