MacBook Air late 2010 13 in.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DDJ, Mar 29, 2016.

1. DDJ macrumors newbie

Every time I click on something the ball starts spinning. What do I need to do to stop it?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If you're on OS X 10.9 or higher, download SMART Utility here. This will verify the SMART data of the SSD. Anything other than passed means the SSD is faulty. For an older OS, download it here.

If that comes back clean, try to verify the volume in Disk Utility. If the volume is corrupted. please quote this and we will run through a repair within the recovery partition.

Updating the OS is always a good shout. Get onto the latest version of El Capitan (10.11.4) if you're not already. This can be downloaded/updated through the App Store, and clicking the 'Updates' tab.

You can try reset the PRAM. Turn off the Mac. As soon as you press the power button to turn it back on, press and hold the following keys: Cmd + Alt + P + R. Continue to hold these keys down until you hear the Apple boot chime 3 times, then let go.

3. DDJ thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2016 ---
    I tried your suggestions and it is running much better.

Thanks

4. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

If you have 2GB RAM that is your culprit. The GF has a 2010 MBA 13" 2GB and it beachballs all the time. Unfortunately RAM is not user serviceable on the Air, could be time for a new machine.

5. DDJ thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have the 2GB RAM. I may look at the Macbook Pro when I get ready to buy another one. I just bought iPhone 6s Plus 128.

6. Woodstockie macrumors member

Woodstockie

I have the 2GB 2010 13". I bought it last year with Yosemite on it, which ran not great. Installed El Capitan when it came out and that made things a bit better, but was still not satisfied. Installed Mavericks and everything runs great. No beachballs when doing normal things. Are you able to install Mavericks on the MBA? Otherwise El Capitan is your best option, some say it runs fine for them on a 2010 2GB.

7. DDJ thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Apr 2, 2016 ---
    I bought mine in November, 2010. I have the El Capitan installed. I guess I have too much on my computer. I need to uninstall some things.

8. Woodstockie, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016

Woodstockie macrumors member

Woodstockie

I switched out the 128gb for the Transcend 240gb for apps, files and iMovie lib and have a 128gb Hyper Drive sitting in the SD slot which has my iTunes library and movies. Use Safari and Chromium for browsing and MS Office most of the time and all works fine for me, fans only come on when I import video footage from my camera.

A full disk (< 20% available) will indeed slow down your computer.