MacBook Air (Late 2010) not turning on. Help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by asdad123, Oct 7, 2013.

1. asdad123 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I'm posting this to hopefully help a family member.

She has a 2010 13 inch MacBook Air that all of a sudden stopped working. It was working fine last night, and when she opened it up today, the screen stayed black and won't turn on. At first I thought the display broke, but I connected it to a tv and nothing, and there is no sound as well so I'm figuring it's not turning on at all.

The weird thing is though, when we plug in the MagSafe charger, the light turns green (bright green as if it's fully charged so I'm at a loss of what it could be.

I tried a smc reset and pram reset bit those didn't help.

It unfortunately has no warranty and buying a new computer right now is not an option for her. I would love to hopefully get this fixed for her. I don't think it's anything crazy as it was working fine last night and she closed it and now it won't turn on.

There has been no water damage to it and no dropping of the laptop.

I'll be taking it to apple to see if they can do anything or to see how much the cost would be, but if any one has ideas to try, I would appreciate it.

2. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

That sucks, the 2010 was my first MBA and I LOVED it. But unfortunately, what you did pretty much all you can do.. if it's not starting up, then I'd be taking to in to the Apple Store and at least see what the problem is. If it's toast, she will still be able to sell it on eBay for parts.. but that's about it.

3. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I had a similar thing happen to me this past week. I downloaded and installed the SMC 1.9 update. After it installed and rebooted, it was running fine. I closed the lid and put it to sleep; I was not able to get it to wake up or reboot. I tried the SMC reboot as well, but it didn't do anything. Took it to the Apple Store today and they had to do a manual SMC reset. In other words, they took the battery out and pressed the start button. Took all of 5 minutes to do.

4. asdad123 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up taking it to apple and they took it to the back for about 15 minutes and they couldn't get it to turn on.

They're sending it out for repair of everything that's wrong for a flat rate of $280 so that's not too bad.

Thankfully I remembered that I purchased this for her using my discover card which has a 1 year warranty extension (purchased the laptop January 1,2012), so I'll end up paying the $280 and then discover will refund me the repair price. I already filed a claim with discover and apple will have the laptop back in 3-5 days.

Got lucky there. I kept telling her to buy the apple care too

5. calvol macrumors 6502a

Let us know what was wrong with it.... I still have a 2010 Air and love it... no problems in 2.5 years.

6. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

That's great news!! $280 is a steal to have it repaired.. so good on you!

7. asdad123 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm guessing the logic board might have fried as they said that is what they'll be replacing, but if it's not that they'll replace whatever is causing the problem. It's a flat rate fee.

And yeah, 280 honestly isn't bad, but thankfully discover will cover it :)