Macbook Air, Late 2010, Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by davidalanonline, Jun 10, 2013.

1. davidalanonline macrumors newbie

Question: I have a MacBook Air, Late 2010 model. 64GB SSD. 2gb ram. It randomly just shut off on me yesterday, it will not turn on. The power light indicator will come on if I plug it up. I tried to do all the resets, and I got nothing. No sound, nothing on the screen. Zilch.

Is it possible just the keyboard is bad? Or do you think it's fried? Is there any way to test this?

Which leads me to my ultimate question. Worst case scenario and this is fried, I need to get my files off of my hard drive. I have tons and tons of school work on there.

If I buy a 2012 MacBook Air and take the hard drive out of my 2010 and put it in the 2012 long enough to save my files to a jump drive would that work? Or am I playing with fire trying to tear into a brand new laptop like that?

But I have to have my files off of the MacBook Air. I have resumes, my statement letter to law school, etc, etc. eBooks.

What is the best solution to this situation? I appreciate y'ls help!

Thanks!

----------

And just another bit of information. I've really enjoyed my MacBook Air, but I'm not opposed to the MacBook Pro. Would you all recommend the 8GB Air or 8GB+ Pro?

Suggestions?

2. Bear macrumors G3

What you want to do to recover your data is to remove the disk from the old system and place it in an external case. That way you don't have to tear in to the new machine. Also, the disk connectors between the 2 years may not be compatible, so putting it in the new system may not work anyway. And the OS of the old system may not work on the new Air.

I also suggest you invest in an external drive to back up your system regularly.

3. davidalanonline thread starter macrumors newbie

@Bear

External case? So I'm assuming you can connect via USB as use it as a storage drive then?

If I'm looking for it on eBay what am I searching for?

And I was worried about that.. But the specifications from the website looked like they were the same hard drive; I was worried that the OS may screw something up though.

----------

Do you have any suggestions on the deciding between the MacBook Air & MacBook Pro? I don't want anything bigger than 13" and I want to remain under 800$.

Now I don't game.. But if I wanted to install something just for kicks, would the new Air be able to handle it? How's the graphics card?

4. Bear macrumors G3

Yes it would be connected via USB. I'm not sure f you could find it on e-bay and remember you would be trusting your data to a case. One case for 2010 and 2010 Air SSDs is this case from Other World Computing.

The specifications are the same, however the shape of the module is different so there is a fit issue.