Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shah1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
So as per the title, I've owned one these since it's release (still in the exact same condition I got it in). I have the i5, 8gb ram and 128gb ssd although I've just recently picked up a 512gb replacement which I'm yet to install. My question is how much longer will this laptop continue to serve me, don't do anything too intensive, main duties include mainly web browsing, youtube, some very very occasional photoshop and movie editing. Was thinking of upgrading to one of the new Macbook Pro's but after seeing the prices, especially when spec'd to how I'd like one, it was an instant no! The price was pushing close to what I just sold my last car for!!

So do I stick with this or stump up the cash for something new and shiny?

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
You have 8 gb of memory, that's good enough for basic tasks and then pushing the machine a little.
Especially since your drive is SSD.

If you are happy with the performance, and its condition. I think it will certainly last you a while.

Reactions: shah1

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I also have a 2012 13" Macbook Air. The biggest problem is battery life. It doesn't have a great battery life to begin with (pre-haswell), and with age, it is only worse now. Performance wise, I have used it for Final Cut and Lightroom, and it's fine (other than the fans running at full speed to cool the internals down).

As for longevity, my concern is the GPU. I am not sure, but it's as if MacOS Sierra put a but more strain to older GPUs. I can see this being an issue moving forward. Was hoping for a lightweight 13" Macbook on the last event (not a neutered 2-port Macbook "Pro"). I'm just going to replace the battery on my 2012 Macbook Air.

shah1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Yes have to agree on the battery front, that is one thing I would need to replace in the near future although it is still showing as being in good health. Might stick with this for another year and see what prices are like for when the next iteration of Mac's are released - hopefully prices for this new tech would have come down some what!

shah1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
For those that have replaced the battery - was this an Apple replacement or for ones that can be bought off eBay etc? Not sure if they are genuine batteries.

kattskrall

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2012
Laptop processors pretty much stopped being better around 2012, they just got more efficient with marginal performance gains.

The only reason for upgrades in the few years to come is either you get tired of the crummy screen or if it stops working, it can do anything any new mac can do.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I have a 2012 11" Air. Unfortunately, even though I take really good care of my devices, its on its way out. Trackpad stopped working for mechanical clicks, can only use tap now, keyboard occasionally stops work and requires a reboot and lastly screen sometimes goes black and then turns back on.

All these would lead someone to assume there is liquid damage but not a single drop of liquid has ever touch this device. Even when cleaning the keyboard I spray a cloth with screen cleaner first. Probably have 6+ months left of this device. Was going to replace the battery because its just starting to fail after 1000 cycles, but not worth the money. Will probably be upgrading to a 2015rMBP because the 2016 are ridiculously priced. Computer has served me well for 4 years and 3 months though. Got it right when it launched.

Reactions: gertruded

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
i have a mid 2012 mba 13"
these newer macbooks are so expensive. i wouldn't buy one right now but wait it out. you're computer is still good. i only use it to edit videos and pictures, but i'm satisfied with it and hopefully will last me for a few more years.

just wait for it, and see. i have no intention to upgrade unless i see the price is right in the future. I'm hoping anything less than $1200 would be good. but right now they are too expensive.

Left4DeadBoy

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2015
hi There! I bet you can rely on that Macbook model computer wise; I never had a problem with my Macbook .

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
My late 2012 MBA is running like on the first day (even with MacOS Sierra), and apart from the display it's still the best (and most loved) notebook I've ever owned. Battery is at 83%, but that's fine; and I could easily replace it if needed.

I will only buy a new Macbook if it dies. Since the Macbook Air is de facto dead I don't know if I would buy a Macbook or Macbook Pro (or something completely different) in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.