MacBook Air Like boot on 2011 MacBook Pro's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnywalker1989, Feb 24, 2011.

1. johnywalker1989 macrumors regular

Hi to everyone. Finnaly i will buy my first MacBook Pro. I am little disappointed cause of the ODD instead of better battery life and same design but the machine is very powerfull. I really want to know if the feature that exist in the MacBook Air's for instant on exist on the new MacBook Pro's to if not.. very very stupid from apple's side. I cannot understand..

so is there any possibility for this feature to exist and be hidden;

and something else the ssd is faste than 5400 default. right;

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's nothing hidden about the capability. Replace your HDD with a SSD and you'll pretty much have instant on. SSDs are faster than 5400 or 7200 HDDs.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

The SSD is what makes the "instant on" possible. If you equip your MacBook Pro with an SSD (which is about 5 times as fast as the 5400rpm HDD that it ships with), and do some tweaking of the power settings in Terminal, you can approximate the "instant on" feature.

Basically, what "instant on" does is put your computer into a "deep sleep" mode after 70 minutes if it is not connected to the A/C adapter. Because the SSD is faster than a HDD, when you open it up, it wakes in about 3-4 seconds. On all Mac notebooks, if you put the lid down, by default it goes into a regular "sleep" mode. They will all wake from regular "sleep" in about a second (whether or not there is an SSD or HDD), but the difference is that this "sleep" mode uses a lot more power. In the Air's deep sleep, it can last for up to 30 days on a full battery. In regular "sleep," the battery will last for about 2-3 days.

4. johnywalker1989 thread starter macrumors regular

deamn

5. johnywalker1989 thread starter macrumors regular

I do not understand why the didn't put that 30 days stanby feature..

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't just "put in" that feature. The MBA doesn't have a hard drive, optical drive, etc. and has more space available for battery. The MBP power demands are much higher than MBA. If you want an MBA, buy one. Just don't expect all the same characteristics of a MBA to be in a MBP.

7. davefave macrumors newbie

I use SmartSleep (it's in the AppStore, though it's possible to do what it does via Terminal commands).

I set it to the 'Smart Sleep' option, and hibernate only @ 10% battery life.

Now, it's 'instant-on' all the time for my Macs with SSD and HDD.