MacBook Air Lock

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HelterSkelter, Jul 30, 2011.

1. HelterSkelter macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Since the new MBA still lack the Kensington lock facilities, I am searching for a solution to actually lock it.

Has anyone tried this solution?
    [​IMG]

...available here : http://www.maclocks.com/index.php/macbook-air-lock/macbookairlock-11-smokey-no-lock.html

Any feedback on this?

And please, do not reply anything such as : "MBA is small enough to carry it with you" because this is just *not* true!!!
    My use-case of an MBA is to have it at the office, working all day long on it, and I have to be able to secure it if I go to the bathroom, if I go to a meeting, if I go to lunch.
    Yes, I can lock it in a drawer, but Kensington lock a so convenient, and you don't have to put your MBA to sleep.

Thanks in advance.

2. molala macrumors 6502a

3. flynz4, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

flynz4 macrumors 68040

It looks like you must instal some lousy plastic case over the entire MBA. Personally, that would be a non-starter for me. They make the MBA bulky, ugly... and from what I understand... they often create damage as grit gets between the case and MBA.

Also... it seems that someone can come by with a pair of $2 dikes... cut the cable, take the MBA off site, and then remove the case with 4 small screws. It is sort of the "honor system" of theft deterance.

I would personally do one of two things:

a) Install FileVault 2 to protect my data... and take the slight risk of losing the MBA to theft while my data remains safe. This would assume that I work in a pretty secure enviornment.

b) Secure my MBA directly into a locked drawer or cabinet when I arrived at work... and use it with an external monitor, keyboard, mouse all day.

/Jim

4. verity macrumors member

5. huschpuscheli macrumors regular

how about this?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Silver-Combination-Lock-for-MacBook-Air-/360170788777

it looks nice, discreet and decent but it says that it's not compatible with the latest air. but i can't imagine that it's incompatible since the cord should slip between the display and the rest of the body. any suggestions? any ideas for a more adequate and appropriate way to lock the air?

6. misterneums macrumors 6502

I'm thinking this is probably the best idea for you.

7. racer1441 macrumors 68000

What kind of office do you work in that you are worried about someone stealing your computer while you're in the can?

8. misterneums macrumors 6502

Also a thought that crossed my mind.

9. imladris macrumors member

I was looking for a way to secure a new MacBook Air some week ago, and found macBracket, which looks elegant and interesting. Unfortunately they have not yet made it compatible with the new Airs (2010,2011), but they are working on it, according to their twittering.

10. huschpuscheli macrumors regular

i hope they hurry up. how can testing a piece of metal sheet take so long?

11. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

I imagine holding a dust can upside down until it's empty on the plastic and a simple tap could break it free from the lock.

12. RobQuads macrumors regular

Its supprising that they did not put a kensington lock in. I am sure there is the space in the side of the case somewhere as it doesn't take up much space (certainly looked space near the thunderbolt socket looking at the PCB was that posted recently)

13. molala macrumors 6502a

I hope their new product will allow the laptop to be closed while it is locked. Their current one (they say) may cause damage if the laptop is closed while the bracket is in the hinge. Seems like too easy (and costly) mistake to make.

14. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

macBracket now offers a product to secure the newer MBA models. The product is currently on backorder acording to their website