MacBook Air Louder?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by EchoPure, Aug 31, 2011.

1. EchoPure macrumors member

I've been using my new MacBook Air 13" 2011 128gb for about a month now. And tonight I just noticed that it seems if my mac has gotten louder. It's pretty quiet in my room and I've noticed when I scroll down a webpage, I hear my CPU or something. It sounds like a spring decompressing kind of. Have anyone noticed this problem? Do you think there is there something lose in the MacBook?

I'm pretty sure if I bring it in a Apple Store, they won't hear it since the room must be very silent to hear it.

2. jsolares macrumors 6502a

There's nothing mechanical on an Air besides the fan, if it's not the fan it's electrical noise, my UPS does it sometimes when scrolling on an iMac, haven't heard it on the Air.

3. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

I'm fairly certain what you're hearing is the fan. And I say so because after about two weeks of owning my Air, I noticed the same thing as you. And I asked myself the same question you are posing now. The reason I didn't post it is because I really had no way of describing the sound. More importantly, you state that you hear the sound when scrolling up and down webpages. This is how I noticed it as well.

Yes the MBA is a very quiet machine, but even at an idle 2K rpms, in a very quiet room (and I emphasize quiet) you will be able to hear the rotation of the fan. The only way I can describe it, is it sounds like the noise a spinning hard drive makes as it works to read/write, only softer.

As you mentioned, it's barely perceptible unless you are in a very, very quiet room. The slightest background noise and the fan noise disappears.

Anyway nothing to worry about. Your Air did not get louder, you just got used to your Air. You could say, in this case, you are hearing the "Air." LOL....:p