Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

despina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
this is actually my first macbook in general and i’m very confused as to which one to pick between the 7 core gpu with 16gb of ram or 8 core gpu with 8gb of ram, cause everyone says different stuff. i’m a normal user i’d say, i watch a lot of movies/videos, tend to listen to music while doing other tasks, i want to do some very light gaming and i don’t really do much editing. please leave any suggestions you have (also i plan on keeping this computer for at least 5-6 years if that helps)

Last edited:

Rck1984

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
The Netherlands
There will be advice for 16GB, but with your workload a base model M1 (7/8/256) is totally fine.
I don't think that extra GPU core, or another 8GB of RAM is going to make a difference for your use case.

Last edited:

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Depends on what you mean about light gaming. I’m in a different camp, you’re keeping it for half a decade, spend the extra $50 and just get the full gpu. Get the 16gb if you’re lazy like me and have up to 40 tabs of webpages loaded up at once when I’m not working ?

despina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
ohh thank you all for your answers, i think i’ll stick with 8gb ram after all

despina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
Depends on what you mean about light gaming. I’m in a different camp, you’re keeping it for half a decade, spend the extra $50 and just get the full gpu. Get the 16gb if you’re lazy like me and have up to 40 tabs of webpages loaded up at once when I’m not working ?
hmm that’s got me thinking now cause i do that too, and by light gaming i mean some sims and i wanna try some apps like among us now that they’re supported

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
My opinion is, if you don't already know why you need 16 GB of RAM, you then know you don't need 16 GB of RAM.

I have a base MBA (7 GPU cores), and this things takes everything I throw at it. The only caveat I would throw out there is, if you plan on keeping your new computer for 5 years or more, I would definitely invest in the RAM upgrade.

All that said, I think we will see some real nice incremental jumps over the years from M1 to M2 to M3, so I have a feeling a lot of people out there (myself included) are going to have a hard time holding onto their computers for too long (keeping in mind I just upgraded from a Mid 2012 non-retina MBP).

despina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
My opinion is, if you don't already know why you need 16 GB of RAM, you then know you don't need 16 GB of RAM.

I have a base MBA (7 GPU cores), and this things takes everything I throw at it. The only caveat I would throw out there is, if you plan on keeping your new computer for 5 years or more, I would definitely invest in the RAM upgrade.

All that said, I think we will see some real nice incremental jumps over the years from M1 to M2 to M3, so I have a feeling a lot of people out there (myself included) are going to have a hard time holding onto their computers for too long (keeping in mind I just upgraded from a Mid 2012 non-retina MBP).
yes that’s why i was thinking the ram upgrade since i definitely cant get a new one when the next gen is released

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.