Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ramm7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2023
Its almost one year since i bought mac air m1, the current battery health is at 90%, condition-normal, charge cycle is at 33.
The thing is battery health keeps coming down 1% every 2-3 week, and it is case from last 8 months, it came down from 98 to 90% this way. I can say i keep good care for my mac, as advised by apple and other users. Charging it between 20-80, shutting down once a week, keep bluetooth and wifi off when in sleep, and i dont use lower power mode, since I don’t have heavy usage and also regularly updating it.But still I don’t know what i am doing wrong.
Can anyone help me with it, what am i doing wrong!

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Obviously using a different OS doesn't change the chemicals that make up a battery. Batteries slowly age continuously no matter the use or whether they're being used at all. And the percentage is just a guess. Not to mention the M1 Air has incredibly long battery life and even when the battery is at the end of its life cycle after 4-6 years and battery life is cut in half that would mean 'up to 10 hours' instead of 'up to 20 hours' that the Air did when it was new.

Reactions: kitKAC

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Obviously using a different OS doesn't change the chemicals that make up a battery.
Just as obvious, a different OS has a different kernel driver for the battery, different algorithms for charging, reporting usage and health, not to mention different bloatware to drain the battery quicker. ;)

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
different algorithms for charging, reporting usage and health, not to mention different bloatware to drain the battery quicker. ;)
How is that obvious, where do you get the info from and what specific "bloatware" does Ventura have that Monterey doesn't? Not to mention that I don't see where there is a different "algorithm" for charging. You plug in power, MacOS charges the battery, and sometimes it might stop at 80% and avoid a full charge. That's the same for both systems, and if you are going to make claims about "different algorithms" I really would like to know what that is supposed to mean. To me it sounds like you are making things up.

Reporting could be different of course, but then it would not affect the actual battery life. And Apple definitely did change that going from Intel Macbooks to Apple Silicon ones, because whereas the older Macbooks record a steady slow decline, the newer devices seem to actually pull numbers out of thin air, specifically the System Settings battery health overview will claim 100% health relative to when it was brand new even a year after purchase, which just doesn't make any sense that a 1 year old battery would be as good as a brand new one. Due to the chemical aging that is pretty much impossible. With my own M1 Mac, battery health remained at 100% for a full year and then dropped to 92% from one day to the next. At the same time Apple's internal MacOS diagnostics ioreg (AppleSmartBattery) showed a steady decline the entire time (that is the data that tools like coconutBattery use).

From your thread it seems you are aware of that too. But again, whatever the reporting says will not change the actual battery life and your suggestion to downgrade from Ventura to an older MacOS version doesn't seem to be based on anything other than speculation that came from installing the first 13.0 Ventura version and noticing a decreased battery life, which is totally possible since Ventura was a hot mess when it first released.

Reactions: kitKAC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.