Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
My wife's Mid 2012 13 inch MacBook Pro 2.5 dual core 8 gig is slowing down a bit it seems and we are thinking of upgrading to the new M1 MacBook Air.

Primary use will be the usual stuff but also garage band on a weekly basis editing music tracks together for her dance classes. She will also be using apple photos or maybe even move to Lightroom for her photos but she just does basic edits.

Will the MacBook Air be up to the Job? I've not really seen any reviews for it with Garage band.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I assume she did none of those things with her previous MacBook Pro, because otherwise the answer is simple. The M1 MacBook Air is at least twice as fast as her old machine. Yes, it'll run very well. Everything you asked about is very basic, and the M1 machines run heavy workloads very well too.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
I assume she did none of those things with her previous MacBook Pro, because otherwise the answer is simple. The M1 MacBook Air is at least twice as fast as her old machine. Yes, it'll run very well. Everything you asked about is very basic, and the M1 machines run heavy workloads very well too.
Ha Yes! I did think I kind of think that I answered my own question because she does do those things on the current machine. I suppose, my question is more is the machine up for the job for long durations i.e few hours of using garage band as opposed to 10 minute intervals

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.