Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RJ_xx01

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
Same issue here, kind of a burn-in. Switchig on/off true tone makes it worse (white backgrounds are getting magenta).
IMG_1449.jpg

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I also have the same issue on a Macbook Air 2020. Mine is not an M1, it's an Intel.
Same exact ghosting/burn in that's also present during boot at the apple logo and the weird washed out almost like inverted colors.

It feels to me as if it's not a true LCD burn in but more of a strange hardware issue related to the display controller. It gets worse the longer you keep the laptop running.
I was playing with the "dark mode/night shift/true tone" and the inverted color settings and weird enough it fixed itself for a few minutes before it went bad again.

All the apple stores are closed in my are due to Covid so I requested a box to send it in.
They better not tell me that it's my fault. I baby every piece of tech I own.

Take a look. This is right after boot when it's not as bad as it gets. You can see the burn in both pictures.
It looks to me like it is your fault. You have been using your Mac regularly and enjoying it way too much. :p

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Same here. MacBook Air M1. The issue started appearing 3 days after the purchase. On the 4th day it was unusable. Sadly, I didn’t have OP’s luck with Apple. According to Apple, everything is fine. There are no issues with the laptop... They claim that it’s a software bug and I should just wait for it to get magically fixed in the future.
I'd call back in and press them on it. That's unacceptable. You are (or were?) within the return window so you could just make them take it back if the support people aren't cooperating.

My iMac 5K started showing really bad image retention a couple years ago, when it was still under AppleCare. The first Apple support guy I reached tried to sell me on "wipe the machine and reinstall everything" when it was clearly a hardware issue which I'd read plenty about. It was a fairly common defect in the exact generation of iMac I have.

Anyway, the guy was not helpful at all. He told me he'd call back after I did the reinstall (which I didn't do). He didn't call back like he said, so I called back into the system and got a much more helpful agent who quickly recognized this as a hardware issue and authroized a repair. They put in a new panel and all was well and the screen looks good to this day.

In my experience you can get wildly different outcomes by talking to different support people. Some of them are much more helpful or knowledgable or cooperative than others.

Last edited:

Antonnn

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2016
Update: I shipped the Macbook Air and received it back in 2 business days.
The notes say that they replaced the display.
I had a very small blemish close to the apple logo and it's gone which means they replaced the entire top portion of the laptop.

Works as new. I'm very satisfied with the repair. Hopefully I never have to do this again.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Update: I shipped the Macbook Air and received it back in 2 business days.
The notes say that they replaced the display.
I had a very small blemish close to the apple logo and it's gone which means they replaced the entire top portion of the laptop.

Works as new. I'm very satisfied with the repair. Hopefully I never have to do this again.
That is A+ customer service. Always like seeing happy Apple endings.

Joacolkd

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2021
Hi,
I've the same issue, and the colors white look like green.
In my case, it worked fine for 1 month until today.
I reinstall Mac Os and didn't work

Attachments

• IMG_8159.JPG
    IMG_8159.JPG
    530 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_8151.JPG
    IMG_8151.JPG
    422.9 KB · Views: 152

Awraro

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2021
A really weird issue just appeared on my MacBook Air M1 where the screen went really washed out and when restarting to see if it would clear the problem there is evidence of screen burn-in as a game my wife was playing remains on the screen, even after a couple of restarts it's still there now.

I've attached a photo from the third restart where the image burn is still there.

Assuming this is broken and needs to go back to Apple or is this a known issue that can be resolved?
Wow, same problem for me, it starts with a barely noticeable flickering, then the whites turn pinkish and now there is no gradiation on highlights, have reinstalled Big Sur, erase the whole disk, tried different color profiles and nothing...How old? Just two weeks of usage...Still gathering information about this problem and im not sure to buy a new lcd for the A2337...thank you for this thread!

Attachments

• IMG_5747.jpg
    IMG_5747.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 135

Felo_N

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2023
I have the Exact Same Issue, But the catch is that my Device (M1 Air) is Over 1.5 Years old 💀 So Out of Warranty
But i Personally Think it's a Display Connector issue because the Color tone of the display Keeps Changing when i adjust the hinge, I will soon send it to an authorized apple Reseller bec there is no apple stores in my country (Egypt if you are wondering)
So if i am right (it is a connector issue), It should be a relatively easy fix
Otherwise, I will just have to live with it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.