Macbook Air, Macbook, or Macbook Pro for New Mac User and iOS development

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LMC91, Dec 5, 2016.

1. LMC91 macrumors member

Hi, I'm looking into buying my first Mac, I'm interested in game development, still very new it, mainly for mobile games, and need a Mac to be able to publish games and apps to the App Store. I have an over 6 year old PC already so I'll still use that for now too.

Apart learning swift and xcode, I'd like to use it for programs like Photoshop, Vector Graphics, possibly some 3d modelling, and even some light gaming, but that would probably require Windows 10 on Bootcamp, and I'm afraid of taking up too much storage, but I'm buying this Mac for MacOS so it's not a requirement, but it's still an expensive computer and I'd like to get what I can out of it.

With the increased UK prices of Macs, I was thinking of just going with something cheaper in general, especially since I'm not sure if I want to convert completely to Mac, and I've been used to Windows for years. Was looking at the Mac Mini's and could hook that up to my TV or PC Monitor, but they're 2 years old, and still quite expensive. Then I was thinking about Macbook Air's and trying to weigh up whether to spend extra on a Pro, but that's still a £200-£300 difference, and that it might be nice to have a little portable machine too.

With an education discount from Apple, I can get a 256gb Macbook Air for £988, or from somewhere else I can get a 2015 128gb Macbook Pro, which would include the Retina Display, Force Touch etc, but I'm worried about the 128gb of storage. Or there's the 256gb Macbook for £1124, which has only one port, but I can get an adapter, but at least it has more storage, but I heard it's less powerful than an Air, but maybe
    that won't be a problem?

Really I'm just looking for some opinions, and if there's any more details I need to give, just ask. Thanks for your time.

2. CJozef macrumors member

CJozef

Try to get 2014/2015 MBP 13' with 16GB RAM and 256GB storage. These machines will be around for a long time. Air is dead product and MB12' is not for you.

3. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Agree with @CJozef, I normally recommend the 12" MacBook for most people, especially if portability is your game, but you need the most horsepower for your buck, stay in the pro lane. If you are going to make Games for iOS, you'll need a Mac and an iPhone or two.

4. LMC91 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for both of your replies.

CJozef, 16gb of RAM puts the price up quite a bit from what I can see, but I'm still weighing up my options. I was hoping it'd at least be fine for the type of stuff I'd be doing, which would mainly be 2D games. My PC was bought in 2010, with an i7 and 6gb RAM, and I seem to do fine.

Zazoh, I have an iPhone already, and have access to an iPad too, so I can do my testing with those.