Macbook Air magsafe broken?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mstrcrd, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Mstrcrd macrumors newbie

I have my macbook air for about 6 months now and it has been a dreammachine for me.

but i noticed that my magsafe adaptor won't charge anymore the led doesn't come on and the battery doesn't get charged at all.
    could this be a dead power adaptor?

thx

haven't got the battery update yet but my battery is empty so no way i can update it without charging right?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sounds like it

3. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

Very likely a broken power adaptor. If it should turn out to be the Air itself that somehow broke and can't receive a charge anymore, you should get it fixed for free on your warranty.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Interesting that you should post this: The week before last, the exact same thing happened to me when the light on the 'magsafe' of my MBA failed three times, (leading the computer to survive on battery power) and finally stuttered into a state of utter darkness, which meant that the computer wouldn't charge at all. So, yes, it was a dead power adaptor.

For what it is worth, I had thought of posting about it here, but, as the problem was dealt with immediately by Apple, I didn't feel the need to do so.

I have Applecare and it was replaced within a few days by an authorised Apple dealer. As your MBA is only six months old, it is still covered by warranty, thus you should be able to get a replacement without any difficulty from an authorised Apple store.

5. Mstrcrd thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks, that's what i thought as well. like scepticalscribe had a few times where light wouldn't burn unless i removed it and plugged it back in. guess this'll be a trip to an apple shop.

6. redache macrumors member

My Magsafe accidentally broke (the front connector snapped) and Apple were happy to send me a replacement, in fact they shipped it after I'd phoned and it arrived the next day. I had to send the old one back so they could make sure it was actually broken as they didn't want to just hand out a new magsafe and if I'd gone to an Apple Store they would have swapped it out there and then!.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it could be dead. Before a trip to Apple, try resetting the SMC. Also check out the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

8. Total Respray macrumors member

Same problem with mine after just a few weeks. Apple store replaced it swiftly enough, but the employee said that broken mag-safe adapters were not uncommon. Possibly a design flaw.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't call it a design flaw, or there would be widespread failures. My MagSafe adapter is working like new... after 4 years. Apple sells over a million Macs per month. The few adapters that fail represent a microscopic percentage of that.

10. Georgl macrumors newbie

Had the same problem with my Macbook (1st Unibody) 13" - power connector didn't work anymore after 14 months. Guarantee denied (although in Germany it is 24 months by law - but you have to prove it) and I had to pay over 200€. Comment of the store-guy: "You should have taken Apple Care" :mad:

Or I shouldn't have bought a 1000€-device made in China...

These kind of issues may occur, but then a quality company should handle it.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Warranty covers manufacturing defects. Failure from wear and tear or use is not covered, even by a "quality company". This is a reality with any electronic device; they die over time. Some users take better care of their devices than others.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That is a bit of a bummer; I'd have expected better from Apple.

Thanks, GGJstudios for extra help, and sources, as always.

To the OP: As redache says, bear in mind that you will have to remember to return the old magsafe adaptor to Apple; originally, I had forgotten to do so (they forgot to remind me when the phoning to tell me that the new magsafe had arrived, but I should have remembered it myself) and so I had to make a second trip to the Apple outlet to return the offending item to them.

13. golder macrumors newbie

Macbook air still not charging

Macbook air2,1 not charging. stopped charging with no apparent event being the cause. I've reset SMC, PRAM and used a new charger. Green light strong and continuous. Charge at 69% so well below 95% cutoff.

next???

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the response I made to your duplicate post in this other thread. You only need to post in one thread.

15. LordVic macrumors 68040

I have had the same problem happen.

at first I thought it was the magsafe adapter itself.
    I tried a bunhc of different plugs at home and no change.

I got frustrated. Shut down my MBA completely. closed it. plugged it in. and went to sleep praying that it'll be better in the morning

Woke up middle of the night to see the LED glowing green.

not sure WHAT happened. but somewhere along the line it just randomly started working again.

Still unsure what it is. did it for a couple days like this. But now it's back to normal

16. Mstrcrd thread starter macrumors newbie

went to an apple authorized reseller and eplained my problem, they tested it on my own macbook, on another macbook air and tested one of their chargers on my macbook. they agreed that it was the charger and happily replaced it for me after some paperwork. :D yay :D

thanks for the advice :p

17. LordVic macrumors 68040

thats good news

going to go heading down to an apple store or authorized seller today.

crapped outa gain this weekend, and unlike last time, it hasn't started working at all all weekend (yet, I"VE MANAGEd to not kill the battery in 3 days, wich is insane)

But ya, I'm going to go to the apple store and see what they can do. I can prob live a day or two without it, but it would be nice to have use of something I paid for.

18. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

MBA Not Charging - Now Working

Exact same thing occurred on my girlfriends 13" MBA (2011) last night.
    Would not charge. Checked the power bar that MagSafe was plugged into was working (originally connection). Changed to the wall-socket - nothing.
    She's been using the extension (grounded) cable all along.

Ensured all updates where installed (new Firmware released last Friday).
    Rebooted ... and plugged in .. awaited 5mins and BOOM working.

19. LordVic macrumors 68040

Id recommend giving apple a call anyways.

I know it's been a few weeks since i posted that, and mid week last week it cut out for good.

I called Apple at 8pm friday. by 9am today, a replacement was waiting for me at work.

20. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Possibly related, or maybe not, but I have a feeling something is wrong with the charging circuit in the MBA itself and not the power brick.

I have two chargers, and occasionally one of them won't work (the little light on it won't turn on at all when plugged into the MBA, and MBA still reporting it's running from battery power). Both chargers have exhibited the symptom, and both of them do work again at some later point. I bought the two chargers are different times, so I find it hard to believe I got two defective chargers....

I feel odd taking it to an apple store because, like I said, eventually both do work. Sometimes 5 minutes later, sometimes 1 minute later, sometimes I just switch it out and don't know how much later it works. Murphy's law tells me that both will work perfectly while at the apple store :)

On the other hand, I only have one macbook...

21. LordVic macrumors 68040

That sounds more like maybe the built in powermanagement of the EFI. have you tried resetting the MFC?

the Apple tech had me try it first to see if it would solve my problem (it didnt).

Power down the MBA. Hold the LEFT SHIFT, OPTION, CTRL and POWER keys for 5-10 seconds.

release.

22. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Same problem 2011 MBA13. 85W magsafe & 45W magsafe PSU. The 45W would occassionally not work (no LED). Tried all the SMC and PRAM resets. Took the 45W PSU & MBA13 to Apple Auth. Service Centre, they ran a special diagnostic tool and suddenly the 45W PSU starts working again (NB the light can turn white as well :-o).

Take everything back home and after a day or two, having used both PSU adapters, the 45W stops working again. Thankfully the Apple Reseller swapped out the 45W magsafe and I haven't had an issue since (3 months). I think there is some controller problem on certain batches of the 45W magsafes...

23. AndersHP macrumors newbie

I just solved this on my Macbook Pro's MagSafe charger, by simply removing the plug-part from the charger part. When done, the 2 connection-plugs (male) are visible. These has to fit exactly to the female-plugs on the plug-part, or the connection is lost and naturally won't charge. So I pressed the male parts a bit downward with a tablespoon's end, "bending" them a fraction of an angle (not visible - DONT BREAK or bend too much!). Now the two parts fits each other snugly, and the charger works again! Bingo!

I think the problem (with my charger, at least) is that when it's connected to a wall outlet, it kind of hangs down by its own weight, and as time goes by, the two parts of the charger bend a bit askew - it doesn't take many tenths of a millimeter before the connection is lost and the charger appears to not work.