MacBook Air Main Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by monokitty, Jul 26, 2013.

1. monokitty macrumors regular

How many of you use the (Mid 2013) MacBook Air as your only and primary machine? How do you find it as your only machine? :)

2. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

I use it as my main machine. I don't do any heavy cpu/gpu work, so it's more then adequate for my needs. I personally feel that outside of possible storage issues (which is already transitioning towards the cloud from my observations), and raw cpu/gpu usage, it's the ideal mac for the majority of users. Once it gets a retina screen, it becomes a no-brainer.

3. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

I've been using an MBA, in its various iterations, as my main machine since 2010 and it's been great. The newest versions run extremely cool and quiet and are very snappy. Zero complaints.

4. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

I use mine as my main computer. It works great as a desktop replacement if you hook it up to a nice monitor. I love my Thunderbolt Display but there are also cheaper options. I'm an English professor, so none of my work comes close to maxing out the capabilities of the Air.

5. johnjey macrumors regular

One reality check is; it gets WARM (7.5/10 with 10 being HOT) while playing silverlight netflix video's on battery....with powercord enabled, it is 6/10 for netflix.

6. tann macrumors 68000

i5/8gb mid 2013 here.

It's amazing, it really is! So portable yet when I plug it into my 27" 1440p monitor it's still a champ. Definitely glad I went with it.

Plus it's super quiet, rarely gets even warm (usually hovers between 50 and 60C for me) even when playing netflix HD on my bed.

Just couldn't be happier really!

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have been using a MBA as my main machine for three years and find it excellent; blazing fast (the SSD is a dream), an excellent screen (the best Apple had on a laptop until they developed the retina technology), and ultra portable.

Now, I'm not a gamer, (which is an issue for some) but I do travel a lot and therefore, portability is an issue for me, so the MBA meets my needs, and very well.

8. cxc273 macrumors regular

I just ordered a 13" model with maximum RAM and storage. I've been using a mid-2012 MacBook Pro as my main machine, but don't like traveling with it to and from work.

Based on my research and what I've heard from pros, the MBA should be fine as my main machine, as I won't push the machine like video editors or serious gamers will.

I had considered a 13" Retina MacBook Pro, but decided to go with the Air for maximum portability.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I do have a Dell XPS 720H2C desktop that I rarely use anymore. Mainly when I want to rip a DVD. I installed Windows on my Air 2 years ago, and use it for everything else. This machine is a beast.

10. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

x2.

I don't need anything serious though. It's likely overkill for my needs but I wouldn't want anything else at this point in time.

11. beautifulcoder macrumors regular

I do a bunch of 'advanced' computing and it works perfectly well. Image editing, vector graphics, web and cloud development, compiling software from sources. Works like a dream. My only wish is that the form factor was a bit smaller. I have the 13 inch model.

12. Frost17 macrumors regular

I would definitely recommend the MacBook Air for most people as the main machine for computing. There is nothing it really can't do at the moment. If you're considering it I would probably upgrade to 8GB if possible, it'll save you in the long run.

13. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

I use mine as my main and only computer. Love it.

14. XoFu macrumors regular

XoFu

My 13" air (I7) has replaced my 2009 13" MBP as my only machine and has been trouble free. During working hours I keep it hooked to a 24 inch external monitor/kb/mouse. I take it home fully charged to couch surf or finish work.
    Zero issues. The increase in battery life has been a real bonus and I carry my charger in the backpack mostly as a lucky charm, I think I have only used it the first day.
    All in all it has been a real improvement :)

15. techie-struts macrumors newbie

I use my 2013 MBA as my main and only machine, for a while I was trying out the iPad as my main machine for heavy emails and orders for my business. But as time passed a real computer was a necessity. I enjoy the MBA because of the portability.

16. creepynut macrumors newbie

How is the screen in comparison? Everything I've been reading says that the MBA screen can be a bit disappointing. I've got a 2009 13" MBP right now and considering the upgrade, but not if the screen is going to be worse.

17. Tarrou8 macrumors member

13" Air + external monitor is a tough combo to beat.

18. hockeyfanatic macrumors member

I purchased mine for main computer.

Looking to add magic mouse & trackpad at later date, followed by 27" UHQ monitor.

Using mine for school, movies, web, gaming (CIV V, chess, solitaire), and photo editing with my new Leica camera.

Getting kick out of the 20:00 battery left after charging. :)

19. XoFu macrumors regular

XoFu

I have no complains about the screen (LG BTW), on the contrary it is quite a bit better that the MBP 2009 13" . Of course not as brilliant as a retina, but my work does not require photo/video work (no frills). For me the MBA (i7/8/256) is very well balanced machine that replaced the 2009 MBP (which was my only machine) without hiccups, no even the slightest complain (3 weeks in)

20. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I dont see why not. The MBA is a very capable machine. With an external monitor (or even without), it should be able to do most if not everything that you need.

21. DblEGT macrumors member

Same here. Couldn't be happier!!!!!! :):):):):):)