Macbook Air Media Center

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bondono, May 22, 2012.

1. bondono macrumors newbie

So I've been using my Macbook Air as a media center. It's worked great so far. I've got it connected via HDMI to my television. No problems. I don't have cable. I rely on Hulu, Netflix, etc.

Here's the one issue I have, and I'm not certain there's any way to fix it.

I have an older receiver that only supports those white and red component audio cables. Is there any conceivable way to get audio from my Macbook Air to that receiver while maintaining the video signal through my HDMI cable?

2. Soondae macrumors member

Soondae

Those are not component audio cables they are RCA connectors. What you need is an headphone port to RCA adapter, they are plentiful and cheap. then use cheap red/white (Right/Left channel) RCA cable to connect from adapter to receiver. Select your external audio source on receiver and you will have the audio from your MBA.

3. No-Me macrumors 6502a

Yeah, just get a stereojack to "tulip-plugs" (as we call them in holland) that will work fine.

What quality of video are you watching on this "mediacenter"? I've found out that HD material through the 11" Air (rev A) sucks bigtime. Even my MacMini (latest model with dedicated GPU) Has some troubles running plex.