Macbook Air (Mid 2011) 45W Magsafe Charger Overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by drodant, Aug 11, 2011.

1. drodant macrumors newbie

The 45W magsafe charger for my 13" Macbook Air (mid 2011) became very hot to the touch and begin emitting a soft hissing sound. Apple store replaced charger, but said they had not heard of similar complaints. Am I alone?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's quite normal for a MagSafe adapter to become very hot while charging, even hot enough to burn your hand. The hissing sound doesn't sound normal at all.

3. Variant macrumors 6502

Variant

Happened to the MagSafe for my sister's MBP. Even the magnet end was hot to the touch. It eventually stopped working.

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

Hot enough to burn your hands?
    That cannot be safe or part of normal operation.

5. drodant thread starter macrumors newbie

You couldn't touch it for more than a second. Hot enough to start making a funny hissing/fizzling sound (note: quite distinct from the 60 Hz hum of house 110V AC). And yes, I was using a surge protector.

Given the lack of similar complaints from others, I'm going to write this off as a fluke.

6. Sandywil98 macrumors newbie

Me too!

Yes, my new (purchased two weeks ago) macbook air is having the same problem with the charger. It sounds like crackling electricity and is very hot. I'm wondering if I should go back to the store and have it replaced.

7. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

All current Apple chargers become very hot.

iPad, iPhone, and MacBook get hot to the point of being almost untouchable. But if it starts hissing or smoking that is not normal.

8. calvol macrumors 6502a

Wonder if they changed the charging controller unit in the 2011? It may be drawing too much current for the 45W model.