Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tburk32

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Hi all,

My wife has a Mid 2011 Macbook Air that has become very slow. A few weeks ago, I wiped the drive, reinstalled Mavericks and used the migration tool to transfer her data back to the computer and the computer seems to still be fairly slow.
Would it be safe to assume that by using the migration tool, I brought the problems back to OS X? I know there are many different opinions on OS X and "clean installs" and the Windows reformatting mentality. However do you think it would be worth the time to wipe the drive and truly start from a blank slate?

Do I even consider upgrading her to El Capitan? Does anyone with a Mid 2011 have any comments on how El Capitan has been running on their machine?

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I would do a clean install. Check the console program for messages that might look weird for hints to as why the system is being slow.

tburk32

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
When I do a clean install how do I configure it so that I can utilize the old Time Machine Backups for the computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.