Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
May 8, 2008
My mid 2012 MacBook Air (13 inch, base) will not power on or stay on without being attached to the power cord. If I unplug the cord the machine instantly dies and will not power on until I reconnect the power cord.

The MBA indicates the battery has a 100% percent charge and coconut battery indicates the same (98% percent charge).

I've searched the forums here and over at the Apple discussion and didn't see anything similiar to my situation.

Any ideas what this might be? Anything I can try before scheduling an appointment at the Genius bar?

I purchased the MBA new at Best Buy this summer if relevant.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Sounds like a dead or shorted battery, or perhaps the charge controller circuit is faulty. You may try the "SMC reset" and see if that does anything. Also make sure the backside of the Air is not bulging due to a swollen battery. Try the SMC reset first, if nothing, take it down to the Genius bar.

Original poster
May 8, 2008
Sounds like a dead or shorted battery, or perhaps the charge controller circuit is faulty. You may try the "SMC reset" and see if that does anything. Also make sure the backside of the Air is not bulging due to a swollen battery. Try the SMC reset first, if nothing, take it down to the Genius bar.

Thanks, I'll try the SMC reset. The outer casing appears normal.

Original poster
May 8, 2008
Tried the SMC reset a couple of times with no luck. We'll see what they say tomorrow at the Apple store.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Hi,

I have a similar problem as my Macbook Air notebook (13 inch 2011 version) only works if it is attached to a wall outlet (it does not charge at all) and have sent it to Apple for repair. I was told by an Apple senior tech advisor, who has been helping me with this issue, that it could be the cable connector (which is attached to the battery and logic board) and/or it could be a component of the logic board itself.

Original poster
May 8, 2008
Just wanted to post an update incase anyone else finds this thread in the future;

I took my MBA in this morning and the Genius ran diagnostics, reset the PRAM and tried another SMC reset. None of this helped; the MBA still immediately turned off when disconnected from a power source.

They're going to replace the battery under warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.