Macbook Air Mid 2012- Not very tight screen hinge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Vyruss, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Vyruss macrumors member

Hey all,

Out of the box my Macbook Air feels as though its screen hinge isn't very tight...is this normal? When moved it shows a little resistance but not as much as my previous laptops.

Thanks for any insight!

2. ericDylan macrumors regular

I have noticed that mine has been a little loose lately, but I have a 2010 and it is probably just loose due to normal use. My friends 2012 MBA's hinge is tight–not moving unless its intentional.

Mine falls all the way open (to the point where I am afraid one day it will snap) if I set it down even a little hard when it is open at an obtuse angle.

If yours is loose, you may want to return it or get a technician to tighten it–if they do that anyway.

Will apple store technicians tighten the hinge? If so, then how much would they charge?

3. Vyruss thread starter macrumors member

Mine is definitely not like your friends then, its not too loose though. I was also wondering if the apple store techs were willing to tighten hinges.

4. cubbi macrumors newbie

yup same here! My hinge is a bit worrying, its not very strong when i pick up the computer the screen falls open, instead of staying put.- what happened to quality control?

5. asting macrumors 6502

I think i recall some saying that this can be done by the techs. It doesn't hurt to call and ask. From what I hear, this only gets worse with age so I would want it fixed when I first receive it.

6. chanyitian macrumors regular

Open your laptop as you would normally do when you use it. try holding the base of your laptop 90 degrees ( perpendicular) to the surface of the table and see if the screen will drop. If yes, the screen hinge may be loose. If no, then its working normally. Good luck!

7. Vyruss thread starter macrumors member

It dropped so I guess I have a loose screen.

8. chanyitian macrumors regular

Mine didn't drop so it means that you need to return it or take it to repairs.

9. Vyruss thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it's going in for a return :/

10. cubbi macrumors newbie

mine dropped too :( bummer!! -same when i close the lid, it gets past about a 45 angle then falls by itself to close. Is this an easy fix or do I have to put up for weeks without my lovely new machine? :mad: