MacBook Air Mid 2013 charging but won't run from battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Arkious, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Hello All,

Im hoping some of you can help.

My MacBook Air battery was dead after a liquid spill, so i changed it and it recognised it and started charging immediately. However when i unplugged the magsafe adapter, it switched off and won't power up via the battery. It is fine from the adapter.

There are a few signs of light tarnishing to the components as per pic

[​IMG]

But nothing that jumps out and says its broken.

Is it possible to get hold of circuit diagrams?

Thanks!

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I am pretty sure that Apple does not publish it's circuit board diagrams.

Sorry for your loss.

3. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

I see a few floating round, just not for this year of macbook. I will keep looking but in the mean time if anyone has any ideas please let me know :)

4. Ian.C macrumors regular

Hi,

After the liquid spill what did you do with your mac?

did you completely strip it down and clean the board with rubbing Alcohol? this will remove the liquid and hopefully remove or reduce the possibility of corrosion.

i have just repaired a 2013 13" air that had approx a pint of larger split all over it. trackpad and keyboard was replaced and the motherboard was cleaned.

you will be amazed how quickly corrosion cans start...

if you need anymore help let me know

thanks

Ian

5. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

It was as quick as I could open it, 3 days as I didn't have a screwdriver. But I had it sitting on it's right hand corner to try get all the liquid out of the fan vents.

All the damage seems to be on the left side of the board as the computer functions fine apart from the screen (work in progress) and the battery. The screen connector basically melted together with the cable. The new cable has been fitted but the new connector hasn't been yet.

I've cleaned everything with IPA 100% and 75% as much as I can but it hasn't gotten any better

6. Ian.C macrumors regular

best thing to do is send the logic board away for cleaning and to have the socket replaced.

you mentioned you had it sitting on the right hand side, but the damage is on the left hand side of the logic board, did you have it sitting the wrong way up.

should it not have been sitting up on the left hand side, unless i have misunderstood.

also have you cleaned the whole board front and and back with isopropyl alcohol using a soft tooth brush?

and have you checked your liquid indicators to see which ones have been triggered? but cleaning it completed should cover all possibilities.

corroded components will need to be replaced, cleaning will not help im afraid, this is only to remove liquid before corrosion takes affect.

thanks

Ian

7. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Only one indicator was triggered, the top left right where the display connector is. No I had it sitting on the top right corner as that's where the fan grill holes are and wanted to liquid to exit there.

I haven't had it professionally cleaned like, but will have another go, don't know where I would even send the board to get cleaned and resoldered tbh.

Thanks for your help so far :)

8. cyber16 macrumors 6502

Charging and not running off the battery will indicate the magsafe I/O board is bad OR the ribbon cable attached to it or both.
    remove the magsafe i/o board look over it closely and do the same for the attached ribbon cable.

to help confirm, unplug the magsafe charger, close the air lid, then plug the charger in and open the air lid
    Does it power up all on its own without touching the power button?
    Normally it will most of the time with a bad magsafe i/o board or ribbon

9. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Yes it does power up without pressing anything, I had wondered why it was doing that.

So you think the mag safe is dead? It's the one thing I didn't think had any water issues so I haven't really checked it. Will do today and thanks for your input!

Greatly appreciated

10. cyber16 macrumors 6502

Indeed the magsafe I/O board or it's ribbon cable, my money is the I/O board
    I work/repair these all the time, 9 out of 10 times its the board and not the cable.
    I would recommend both if you are ordering parts in.

11. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

I pray your correct, where is it cheapest to get one of these?

12. cyber16, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

cyber16 macrumors 6502

ebay
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...cBook+Air+Mid+2013+i/o+magsafe+board&_sacat=0

just make sure its for the 2013/2014 and 13" i assume you have

play with the search words Magsafe board or I/O board
    Prices are all over from about $30-$60 usd

btW yes I am nearly 100% sure that will take care of your problem
    There is always a demand on that part, when I purchase I fully understand that if for some reason it did not work or later I find the air has other issues, the part is an easy re-sell, not wasted money in the end.

13. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Well I took a close look at the MagSafe and it looks perfect, no signs of water related issues anywhere. Cable is just the same, no marks or no signs of wear.

Gonna have a scout to see if I can find one for a fair price and I'm going to take your word on it. I will let you know what happens. Thanks again