MacBook Air Mid-2013 in Panic (Kernel) !

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by giviz, Oct 8, 2016.

1. giviz macrumors member

Hi guys,

I have a macbook air mid-2013 that was working well.
    I've updated to Sierra a few days ago, and after some days of good working behaviour, it's as started to reboot after displaying the black kernel panic message.

I've tried to keep it running without applications running and I've removed what was running when it crashed several times (dropbox, Chrome, etc).

It was still crashing multiple times a day, so I've reinstalled Sierra and found a message indicating that the previous installation was not complete and something went wrong (but it was working fine).

The new installation was OK with no error, but after the final boot, the computer crashed...

I've tried to format the whole hard drive and I've done an Internet reinstall with the default OS (Lion).

The installation did not completed and displayed an error only saying something went wrong.

At this point, I'm thinking that either the hard drive (first choice) or the RAM has a problem.

What do you think ?

Is it easy to replace the hard drive on that machine ?

Or maybe I should just buy the new model ?

Thanks

G

2. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34

You can replace the HD, but you need special tools for it. You could choose to place an SSD.....

3. madrich macrumors regular

madrich

Sounds like the Motherboard is dying.

Did you do a clean install of Sierra?

4. giviz thread starter macrumors member

The Sierra install was an upgrade.

As it failed, I did a clean install of Lion (the OS provided with this mac), but it failed too.

The thing is, I'm not sure that it's a hdd issue. I didn't thought about the motherboard, but as the computer just crash again an again, I think it's more likely to be that than the hdd :/

5. madrich macrumors regular

madrich

Even though your MBA is out of warranty, an Apple Genius at the store should be able to confirm that the MotherBoard is bad. Apple will usually replace the MB for a reasonable fee.