MacBook Air .. Mojave Preinstalled!

TreRep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Venice, ITALY
Received today from Apple online store … MAcbook air base the one sold for 999

production week 38 so it smells of china :) maybe it will not be discontinued?

and mojave preinstalled!

TreRep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Venice, ITALY
i think that this means something:

1- it is selling like hot cakes

2- maybe it will not be discontinued, otherwise production would be already stopped...

Reactions: jecowa

Falhófnir

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2017
What configuration did you get? Generally speaking Apple only keep the two stock models in any significant quantity, so it’s quite likely if you selected an i7, or 512GB storage it’d be made to order

Edit: sorry I see you said it was the 999/ base model - in that case maybe they have just depleted their stock before discontinuation?

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
How is Mojave running on it? Only thing preventing me from updating the OS (from High Sierra) is that Tardisk compatibility hasn't been there since Sierra, so I don't want to have to reformat the entire drive to get it "possibly working".

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California

2- maybe it will not be discontinued, otherwise production would be already stopped...
Or 3: It will be discontinued and Apple is assembling machines based on a just-in-time schedule, i.e. only enough to fill actual orders as they come in. You might say "But wait, Apple has to buy components from suppliers in large quantities", but any leftovers can go into the repair parts stockpile.

Reactions: jecowa

Vlad.E.

Suspended
Oct 4, 2017
What configuration did you get? Generally speaking Apple only keep the two stock models in any significant quantity, so it’s quite likely if you selected an i7, or 512GB storage it’d be made to order

Edit: sorry I see you said it was the 999/ base model - in that case maybe they have just depleted their stock before discontinuation?
Runs great on my 2014 MBA.

jecowa

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2006

1- it is selling like hot cakes

That's good to hear. I hope Apple realizes that people love scissor switches and switches back. And I would love if they could make some kind of hybrid MagSafe / USB type-C port. TouchBar seems like an expensive downgrade too. If Apple really wants a touchscreen, they should put it on the screen instead of the keyboard, but I'm not interested in touchscreens at all on my laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.