MacBook air next upgrade or update expectation

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by But30, Jul 27, 2009.

  1. But30 macrumors newbie

    Jul 24, 2009
    I am planning to buy mac book air, is there an update or upgrade
    coming this year? Is it better to wait a bit or buy now?
  2. Creative One macrumors 6502

    Creative One

    Apr 25, 2009
    How should we know?
  3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Whenever Arrandale happens. That'll be early 2010.
  4. arcangel6 macrumors regular


    Aug 21, 2008
    Click on the "Buyer's Guide" tab at the top right side of this screen. For the Macbook Air it says:

    Recommendation: Buy Now! - Product just updated

    I just bought one and love it....get it with the SSD!

  5. tupelo3 macrumors member

    Jul 17, 2009
    I was struggling with all the same issues....

    I wanted a full glass trackpad. I was concerned about the screen lines. I was concerned that 2MB of RAM wasnt gonna be enough etc.

    I ended up finally deciding that i couldnt wait and bought a REV B 1.8, 128 SSD refurb from the Apple store for $1499 right before they released the REV C 2.13 refurb for $1599?

    In any case, i absolutely love this thing. Its the best computer ive ever owned. I love the trackpad. The thing is plenty fast and i have zero problems with it. Its my primary computer and im thrilled to have it, fwiw.
  6. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

    Mar 2, 2009
    yea they were just updated not too long ago i say buy one now
  7. Gruber macrumors regular

    Jun 15, 2009
    The last update was very minor (2.13GHz option added to the line, and slightly different thermal management). The Air is long overdue for a substantial update. This autumn, we will see a plethora of thin-and-light PC notebooks, and Apple might want to give the Air a little boost to make it ride that wave nicely.

    My bet is that we get at least more memory, a new trackpad and maybe a couple more ports in October.

    But no-one really knows the unfathomable ways of his Steveness. It could be that new updates take place in early 2010. Or just quietly, any day. 2GB is really not enough for some of us.
  8. zedsdead macrumors 68040

    Jun 20, 2007
    Wait for the next revision. There are too many issue with the current model.
  9. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a


    Feb 25, 2009
    Depends on how badly you need (or want) it.

    If you can wait anything from 3-6 months, then I'd really recommend you do so, because the next version will a big jump in specs. Not to mention most of the currently substandard issues (e.g. poor QC on displays) ironed out.
  10. JasG macrumors member

    Jul 12, 2009
    If you need it now, buy it now

    I myself went back and forth between MBP 13 and the Air. my head said mbp; my heart the air. I know all the criticism here, and I also know many people who love theirs. I know that X number of months from now a new and improved model will be released. So I ordered a MBP 13 and rented an Air while I waited for it to arrive. And yesterday I cancelled the order for the MBP and ordered the AIR. I just could not resist the weight. I carry the machine all around. I use an optical drive about once or twice a year. Good luck
  11. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502


    Apr 5, 2009
    Yeah, just 2MB of RAM can seem a bit slow at times...:p I believe you meant 2GB of RAM...

    Anywhoo, the rev. c models are now refurbs, so I'd get the 2.13GHz one with 128GB of SSD. The best raw power under three pounds that $1,549 can buy:)

  12. tupelo3 macrumors member

    Jul 17, 2009
    Needless to say, my specific refurb was severely under-powered, lol. Thanks for the fix. :)
  13. entatlrg macrumors 68040


    Mar 2, 2009
    Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
    buy it now, you'll love it

    i recommend the 1.8 / 128ssd version over the 2.1, the 1.8 runs cooler and quieter in my experience.

    I have three mac's, (see my sig), the Air is my favorite, with the price of them now it's a steal!
  14. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a


    Feb 25, 2009
    Before everyone gets their panties wet at this news (rev.C refurbs), is anyone actually asking WHY?

    Personally I think it's extremely early to be selling out refurbs after what, 6 weeks of the rev.C being released. As before pre-WWDC when may of us were speculating about refurbs and inventory, it's either one of two things...

    EITHER an increasing mountain of returns (probably due to either crappy display issues or buyer's remorse re. the MBP 13") which may who knows eventually lead to mothballing the product line effectively immediately;

    OR there's a much-needed rev.D to be released after the summer break (i.e. September) with 4GB RAM onboard, 256GB SSD, improved (nearer 7-hr) battery tech, maybe the SD card slot, but definitely a fix to the display issues that have been plaguing the MBA for 10 months;

    Either way, it's not good news if you're a current MBA owner. Since I rejected the B for display issues, and wasn't wowed or reassured about the C, I'm really hoping it's the latter.

    Interesting though that the rev.C refurbs are only as yet in the US not in Europe. In contrast, the rev.B refurbs showed up here about 6 weeks earlier than the US - note that was still well over 3 months post-release double the rev.C refurb timeline. Not sure of the relevance of that but still. After all, we still don't have the 24" ACD in the refurb store yet.
  15. But30 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 24, 2009
    Thank you, I hope they do a major upgrade in October.
  16. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

    Jul 27, 2004
    I haven't seen an Apple product that didn't have a refurb available after 1-2 months. Not a single one.

    4GB update January at the earliest (holiday refresh is very unlikely) and isn't incredibly urgent as no sane person tries to encode massive amounts of video or run 12 different apps at the same time on an ultraportable. 256GB SSD in 1.8" is horrendously expensive with 55nm and only made by a select few. Intel is the only manufacturer with 34nm fab and doesn't offer the 1.8" higher than 160 nor with LIF connectors. SD slot doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell.

    The display "issue" was a DOA-able defect. Had a friend get one DOA'd for it on Rev. B. Rev C's don't appear to have any major display issues.

    There is none.

    I've seen multiple 24" ACD's in the refurb store. Simply that an item is currently listed or not listed on a refurb store is no indicator of overall refurbs whatsoever. The item is removed if there are no available refurbs. Just because someone checks the refurb store, sees none, checks it 2 weeks later, sees none, doesn't mean there haven't been any. I've seen refurbs go up and get snagged down within hours.
  17. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

    Jul 27, 2004
    Again, won't happen until there's a new chipset (i.e. Q1 of 2010). The only bump I could see them making at all is 4GB RAM as a silent spec bump. But the performance difference would be negligible. People who need 4GB of RAM on an Air....obviously need something more powerful in other areas as well. OS X is nowhere near the resource hog as Vista. On a desktop 4GB should be standard now, but there's really no earth shattering reason for an ultraportable to have 4GB.

    256GB SSD in 1.8" with LIF connectors is so horrendously expensive it would end up raising the price point of the higher model by a substantial amount. Can't see Apple raising the price point again without a chipset update. It'd drive away users who have been drawn to the unit by the price decrease.
  18. MacModMachine macrumors 68020


    Apr 3, 2009
    can you point me into the direction of these 256gb LIF ssd's ? i would like to purchase one...expensive or not.

  19. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

    Jul 27, 2004
    Toshiba announced one a few months ago. A 256GB 1.8" SSD that is, but no mention of whether it has LIF connections. There are SATA/power to LIF adapters, but I don't know if there's enough room in an Air to fit both the SSD and an adapter. I think it has to have the native connection for it to fit.
  20. Gruber macrumors regular

    Jun 15, 2009
    Nope. The speed difference between Air and MBP is negligible for me. I use my laptop for coding on the go, and 2GB is not enough for me. Also, I use desktops at home and in the company, and I want my portable to be as portable as possible.

    Also, I expect my notebooks to serve for about three years. I am willing to pay more than 2K but I am not buying a notebook that feels tight in the memory department.

    In other words: even if I would use my Air only for Photoshop and Keynote and Office, I would not spend 1.5K on a system that maxes out at 2GB. I bet that many of those that think that 2GB is ample are not in the market for an ultraportable, but would prefer a netbook. So Apple should care, and they probably will do so, sooner than 2010.
  21. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Jul 20, 2008
    I predict Arrandale in H1 2010. We'll likely see 4 GB then.
  22. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

    Jul 27, 2004
    o_O Never said they don't care. But a RAM refresh before the chipset update in 2010? Doubtful. You want a non-upgradeable ultraportable to serve you three years as a heavy duty coding platform..... Seems like you'd obviously be happier with a 13" MBP, if not for the battery life alone. But surely the added 1.5 lbs would render you immobile.

    And many of those that think 2GB is ample, simply don't require more than that since all they do is use iTunes, Firefox and Mail. Better round up all those MBP purchasers. What a horrible mistake they've made. They should all be using netbooks.
  23. Gruber macrumors regular

    Jun 15, 2009
    Apple's update of the Air at WWDC only took place in the marketing department, the platform has not really changed. Since development is a continuous process at Apple, they can decide to launch improvements any time they want (as they often did in the past).

    I prefer not to have my preferences dictated by someone else, please.

    For me, portability is the key priority. In my experience, I left my laptop at home as often as I could when it was still 6 lbs. And I always take it with me since it is 2 lbs, which means that I produce a lot more incidental work. No way I am going back to 6 lbs.

    My heavy duty work requires using our company servers. Still, my notebook computer frees my to move around whenever I feel like, and allows me to work during conferences, or during a recreational walk in the park, when inspiration strikes.

    I have been in the market for an ultraportable Mac for a long time (I have gotten rid of the Air Rev A because it was too sluggish, and I think that it is slightly too large). I am going to buy if the device is right, and I do not care a bit about the price. Until then, I will stick with the TT (even though it has a superfluous optical drive).
  24. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a


    Mar 17, 2009
    11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    You do realize that the 13" MBP is 4.5 lbs, not 6, right? Even the 15" MBP is less than 6 pounds.
  25. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020


    Mar 17, 2009
    As much as I like the air, I have to agree.

    Fix the screen lines, give it a 256SSD and 4GB of RAM, and I'm on board.

Share This Page