Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tazzytas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2015
I recently discovered that my MacBook Air's serial number is listed as unavailable. What I'm wondering is if this is something I can fix myself under target disc mode with a thunderbolt wire. If so could someone point me in the direction of a good tutorial to walk me threw it? Thank you!

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I did a Google Search:

Mac - serial number unavailable

You may learn something if you do some searching. Doesn't seem to be all that rare.

Lou

Last edited:

tazzytas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2015
Believe me I've done that. Haven't been able to find a step by step tutorial after dozens of google searches but thanks for the rudeness much appreciated.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Did you click on the Black Apple logo to the left top of the screen? Click on it and you will see "About this Mac". Serial number should be there.

PhelpsiPhan

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
New Jersey
You need a serializer. It sounds like your logic board has been replaced and the Genius just forget to serialize it. Take it to an Apple store and they can fix that pretty quick.

Source - Ex-Genius.

tazzytas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2015
You need a serializer. It sounds like your logic board has been replaced and the Genius just forget to serialize it. Take it to an Apple store and they can fix that pretty quick.

Source - Ex-Genius.
There is no Apple Store near me nor has anything been replaced or serviced since 2011. Is there no way for me to do it myself? The one place I called that services macs quoted me $60 minimum to fix it and I'd rather junk it if that's the only solution.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
There is no Apple Store near me nor has anything been replaced or serviced since 2011. Is there no way for me to do it myself? The one place I called that services macs quoted me $60 minimum to fix it and I'd rather junk it if that's the only solution.
Don't junk it, send it to me I'll cover the shipping.

Uol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.