Macbook Air (not Macbook) with Retina Display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bilbomac, Mar 21, 2015.

1. bilbomac macrumors newbie

Hi,

I currently have a Macbook Air which is perfect for me in terms of CPU power (Core i5), size and weight. The only thing I am missing is a Retina display.

Now, the new Macbook Air has a Retina display, but much weaker CPU. Macbook Pro 13" answers the requirements for Retina and CPU ower but is larger and heavier than Macbook Air.

So my question - is there any info out there on whether Apple will have a Macbook Air (not Macbook) with Retina display? Or in other words, a laptop with:
    1. Core i5/Core i7
    2. Retina Display
    3. Light at least as Macbook Air

Thanks,
    bilbomac

2. newellj macrumors 601

Not going to happen. The rMB is a very strong signal that major development of the MBA is finished. If you want a 13" Mac with a retina display, you already know the answer. ;) The rMBP is only half a pound heavier and actually has a footprint that's 8 square inches smaller than the 13" MBA.

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I think the Macbook Pros will get thinner so you can still have a powerful and thin notebook with possibly battery life like the 13 inch Air today. Future MacBooks will probably replace the Air and be the mainstream notebook that the Air is today.

4. helloshirosan macrumors member

helloshirosan

I think everyone has exhausted this idea enough. I know a lot of consumers want a Macbook Air form factor with all the bells and whistles of a Retina Macbook Pro 13 inch. The fact is it will never happen and here's why. From a business point of view from Apple, The Mac Mini is the entry level to their line of desktop computers, just like their entry level into their laptops is the Macbook Air. The New Macbook 12 inch is a niche category for business and travel minded people who don't need all the ports. The Macbook Air has the added ports that users might need and don't have on the 12 inch. The 13 inch Retina Macbook PRO is just that...key word PRO. It will have everything that specific consumer needs meaning all the specs that don't come in the entry models. Apple would not make the Macbook Air on the same level as the Macbook Pro. Otherwise there would be no need for the 13 inch Pro. They are in this business to make money for the most part. That's my 2 cent.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

It's the machine that most people wanted. It will probably not happen now, since nobody would buy the much less capable new Macbook if it existed.

6. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Why do people keep saying less capable rMP?
    It's around equal in terms of performance, its smaller and lighter with a better screen.

rMB should be more than an equal replacement for an i5 MBA.

7. Rigby macrumors 601

Among other things, because you cannot even plug something as simple as a USB thumb drive into it without an adapter. I use this all the time to exchange files with others, especially while traveling where network connectivity is often limited.
    I doubt that. The Core-M is slower, has more pixels to move around, and the passive cooling will require CPU throttling in many situations.
    The MBA is small and light enough. The display is the only major minus, and that is exactly the point of this thread.
    Not for me.

8. Idefix macrumors 6502

If the MBA did gain a retina display, the real question is how much would it cost?

Be careful what you ask for...because not only would it cost way more, it would probably come with USB-C.

9. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

So because it doesn't work for you its not capable?
    Those are just excuses, not reasons.

Airdrop uses BT, you don't need a network for other apple devices to exchange files. Given you are plugging in a USB why would a USB via an adaptor be any different or more challenging? No doubt USB-C drives will appear very soon.

Core M is more than equal, esp given most MBA won't be using graphic intense programs anyway. http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_m_5y71-453-vs-intel_core_i5_5250u-469

MBA light enough - sounds like you are just defending your own personal choice, which is fine - but again, this doesn't make it any less capable and it has a better battery life.

I'm getting bored of all the MBA owners moaning about the rMB, get over it. The MBA is deadman walking, the world is moving on. Apple clearly don't share your vision of the future for the portable computer and it's unlikely to change in the short term.

10. newellj macrumors 601

And people seem to forget that you can't just plop a retina display into the existing machine without some major reworks. Battery, for example. If you put a retina display into the 13" MBA you will get something that looks very much like a rMBP.

11. Rigby macrumors 601

True. But personally, I'd be happy to pay some more to get an ultraportable device with an up-to-date display without the limitations and compromises of the Macbook.
    I have nothing against USB-C. I only have a problem with it being the only port. It's way too early for that.

----------

Maybe. But supposedly the new display in the Macbook is more energy-efficient that the Retina display in the MBP. Together with the increased efficiency of the Boradwell CPU, the current battery may have been enough. Unfortunately we'll never know.

12. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Like everyone else, I have absolutely no idea what they'll actually do, but I suspect we'll now have the MacBook and MacBook Pro.

If they were to keep the Air, it would make a very confusing product line-up. Apple seem to go for the two-tier system, so it makes sense we won't see any updates to the Air.

General computing and portability - MacBook
    Serious computing, a selection of ports, graphics card etc. at the expense of portability (a bit bigger and heavier, compromised battery life) - MacBook Pro

I don't generally like Apple, but this I completely understand and support. It gives consumers a very clear choice.

----------

So is that not the MacBook Pro?

13. Rigby macrumors 601

I love my MBP, but I wouldn't call it ultraportable. There's a reason why I have an 11" MBA as well. ;)

14. bilbomac thread starter macrumors newbie

15. newellj macrumors 601

I think something's missing from your well-written post: the "affordable" entry notebook. MBA has been that computer for the last several years although it did not start out that way (I think the 2008 price was $1900 for 2gb RAM and an 80gb spinner). In any case, it's a little hard to think of a notebook line where the starting point is $1200 or so. Edit - I realized I completely ignored the non-retina MBP, but (1) I wonder how much longer that one will linger in the store and (2) even in its current form it's an $1100 computer.

16. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

It's seems so weird that the MBA is no longer the ultra-portable of Apple laptops. I own a 2010 11" MBA. I've loved it but I'm moving to the MacBook because of the new retina model that is very light weight.