MacBook Air Not Responding (Black Screen)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Joey3537, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Joey3537 macrumors newbie

Okay, so this morning I had taken my MacBook Air out and turned it on. At first, the only thing I was seeing was the keyboard lighting up but nothing else. So I turned it off with a hard reset. Then when I turned it on, I could only hear the charm and the backlight appears, although there is no display.

I don't have access to the mouse, the keyboard does not light up, nor does the shift button.

So far, I've tried
    1. Turn off the Mac
    2. Disconnect the Power cable
    3. Hold down Shift + Control + Option and Power button at the same time for 12 seconds
    4. Release all keys at the same time, then reconnect the Power cable and turn the Mac back on again
    5. Next, reboot the Mac again and this time hold down Command+Option+P+R keys concurrently for about 20 seconds, this resets the NVRAM
    Still no luck. Now my friend told me to reinstall the operating system. As I haven't tired that yet, I don't think it's going to work since I don't have a working screen to show me anything??

Anyways, I don't want to take it to apple care because god knows It's going to be expensive. >.>. If I could get any support, that would be great!

OH!!! I should also let you guys now know that this started happening right after I updated to the newest OS X.

This is a MacBook Air 2013 MD711LL/A

Please please please help!!!

2. KPJLK macrumors member

3. Audit13 macrumors 6502a

Audit13

4. kohlson macrumors 6502a

You should consider taking into Apple for a free diagnostic. In my experience the diagnostic can be useful and insightful, such as the time they correctly diagnosed a defective IO board in a 2012 MBA, with a replacement charge of $120. I had already paid a few times that amount to a local repair shop, who in retrospect had no idea what they were doing. More recently, my maxed out 2013 MBP exhibited conditions very similar to what you've described. I took it in and the Genius Desk diagnostics were useless. But it was a flat rate to repair it. In my case, it was $600 to replace everything but the keyboard, battery and trackpad.

5. Joey3537 thread starter macrumors newbie

So just to follow up... I had just got back from Apple Care and they said it was something that they would need to keep overnight to properly diagnose. However, since this was a recent purchase from Ebay, I decided to just return it. Luckily the seller was completely understanding and agreed to give me a full refund.

Thanks for your help guys.