Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srinignan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2021
I have a mid 2012 macbook air, i used to get service battery message on and off, like a moron i kept delaying to buy a new battery. last night i left the laptop on charge from morning its not turning on, no sound from the fans as well.

I have tires SMC reset, Ram reset, power cycle, holding the power button and plugging in the charger, nothing helped

I opened the bottom and noticed the battery is bulged, i disconnected the battery and tried turning on but nothing. when magsafe is connected its green with the battery connected and amber when the battery is disconnected.

during the SMC reset light blinks from green to amber when the battery is disconnected. With the battery connected SMC reset does nothing.

does that mean laptop is dead, would replacing the battery help?

thanks

synicalx1

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
If the battery is bulging, it needs to be replaced. If you're comfortable doing that then go right ahead AFAIK the older Airs are actually fairly easy to swap battery cells on. Otherwise a repair tech should be able to do it without it costing an arm and a leg.

That battery isn't really safe to use (unlikely, but it can catch fire) and the more it swells the more likely it is to damage something else in the chassis or the chassis itself.

Adenitz

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2021
Disconnect battery and charger, keep pressed power button for at least 10 sec. After that connect charger and press power button again for 10 sec. The battery should be disconnected all time.
Please have a look at this:

Last edited:
Reactions: synicalx1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.