Macbook Air On Ebay? HELP!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by .michael, Nov 26, 2008.

1. .michael macrumors regular

Would you trust doing this... I mean, there is an amazing deal out there, a 1st gen. macbook air, only $315 as the highest bid. The seller has a 100% feedback result and good reviews. The info on the product tells....

"Up for auction is a used Apple Macbook Air (1st Generation). This laptop is in good condition and has been an excellent computer with no problems what so ever, I am just selling it because I need the money. Right now the laptop has an invisible shield on it to protect it from scratches, as you can see it in the pictures. The computer is in fine condition except for a small chip on the left corner, this is barely noticeable and does not affect the performance of the computer. The screen is in excellent condition with no dead/stuck pixels and no scratches. I am including an external Sony DVD-RW drive with the Macbook Air, since it does not have an internal optical drive. I am also including the original box with original cables, software and manuals. There is also a mini DVI to VGA adapter and a mini DVI to full DMI adapter. I am also including a USB cable extender. Shipping and handling is completely free. If auction is ended through buy it now, I will include either a used 5th generation black 30GB iPod Video, OR a used 1st generation 16GB iPhone that works, but needs a new screen (screen works, just has a dead strip) If buy it now is not used, then I will not include the iPod or the iPhone. Please feel free to leave me a message regarding this auction. I will ship as soon as I receive payment, so fast payment equals fast shipping. This laptop would make a great holiday gift for any student or loved one! Good luck and happy bidding ; )"

So, what would you do if you were in my shoes? I have around 5 days until the auction ends... And plus, should I bid around 350? Or should I go higher?
    Thanks! All comments and help are appreciated! : D

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, no one is going to bid five days out. It will go higher.

3. .michael thread starter macrumors regular

4. CalumC macrumors regular

[​IMG]

Ebay auctions don't get going until the final 2 or 3 days, if yours has a fair way to go yet, the bidding won't have gotten going yet.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Ignore it as there's 5 days to go and the price will sky rocket in the last hour.

6. .michael thread starter macrumors regular

7. Hurd111 macrumors member

8. liquidfuel macrumors newbie

The bids will shoot sky high during the last few hours.

:rolleyes:

9. MrM macrumors 6502

10. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

haha. this must be your first time on ebay.

315 now. 990 end.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'll frank here. When I bid on an auction and I see the price is $350 for a MBA still in last few minutes, I'll bid at least $700 in the last 2 seconds for good measure.

This means that a lot people will do the same because people try to get the best deal the last few seconds—a lot people feel bids which is against ebay policy, but unfortunately it's done, so to minimize that, bidding is a last minute thing.

12. emac82 macrumors 6502

I hate it when people are like "Oh, I can get that for like $10 off eBay" for a normally $100+ item..I find some people will browse eBay, to "price shop" and not take into consideration that the $10 they are seeing is 1 bid, with like 5 days left...

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd tread very very warily with any computer purchase on eBay. Yes, there are those who have done well out of it, but I prefer to make any computer purchases from a licenced outlet - such as an Apple store - than from a private seller online. The potential for fraud is pretty high, as are the risks. So, be careful.

Cheers and good luck