Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Disavowed

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
Midwest
This is a great topic. Like most people, I think it would be a tragedy if the MBA was discontinued befre they got it right "for me". As I have stated before, as have MANY others, if the latest version had 4 G RAM and 256 SSD, they would be flying off the shelves.

I seriously do not see the attraction of netbooks, espcially when you can have such a capable machine like the MBA that has the ability to do so much. Netbooks remind me of little yappy dogs that I just want to drop kick through some football uprights! :)

Seriously, it is my hope that the MBA will soon be embraced as a one and only computer machine by a large group of folks instead being looked at as a niche product.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This is a great topic. Like most people, I think it would be a tragedy if the MBA was discontinued befre they got it right "for me". As I have stated before, as have MANY others, if the latest version had 4 G RAM and 256 SSD, they would be flying off the shelves.

I seriously do not see the attraction of netbooks, espcially when you can have such a capable machine like the MBA that has the ability to do so much. Netbooks remind me of little yappy dogs that I just want to drop kick through some football uprights! :)

Seriously, it is my hope that the MBA will soon be embraced as a one and only computer machine by a large group of folks instead being looked at as a niche product.

Apple needs to stop selling a computer that includes a defective display as a "feature."

4 gigs of RAM wouldn't hurt either:D

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
I think a macbook air redesign would be welcome.

First i think they should drop the wedge aspect of the design, and flatten it out, sure it won't be an emergency melee weapon if you get mugged any more, but it would allow them to build a much larger battery into the machine, much like the new Acer Timelines, They could make the entire machine have roughly 1-1.5cm of depth, which in some respects is thinner than the current Air. Yes i know the timeline has significantly poorer build quality, but it's concepts are well thought out.

An 11" model would be greatly welcome too, 13" is just a little 'too much' for some of us.

I find myself wondering if apple would consider using intel's new CULV processors, you loose a little performance, but the benefits of a much stronger battery life are more appealing to me.

Luckily in the 6+ months to an revision SSDs should drop in price to a significant enough degree that it's a standard feature for the machine rather than a cost added

... oh well, i might just get the 11" timeline until apple gets their act together.

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Seeing as its only a year and a half old, I dont think we're ready for a case redesign yet. However, I would welcome a redesign for the functionality of a 7 hour battery and 4GB RAM.

guydude193

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
MI
They'll add the nice 7 hour non-user-replaceable battery for even better portability, too.

Already non-user replaceable. :p
Apple's going to make the Air the netbook and then the MacBook the touch screen device. My theory, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disavowed

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
Midwest
I think a macbook air redesign would be welcome.

First i think they should drop the wedge aspect of the design, and flatten it out, sure it won't be an emergency melee weapon if you get mugged any more, but it would allow them to build a much larger battery into the machine, much like the new Acer Timelines,
I really like that part of the design

An 11" model would be greatly welcome too, 13" is just a little 'too much' for some of us.

Ok, my first multi-quote post was a disaster!

I would rather see a 14" or 15" machine that is a true desktop replacement than having it be like any other netbook.
Luckily in the 6+ months to an revision SSDs should drop in price to a significant enough degree that it's a standard feature for the machine rather than a cost added

Here's is hoping you are right!

Ok, my first multi-quote post was a total disaster! :eek:

kuaizi8

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2009
MacBookAir1,2

(#1) 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 9400M 256MB, 2GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 120 GB HDD / 128GB SSD, built-in 3G/HSDPA, Glass trackpad, revised battery

(#2) 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 9400M 256MB, 4GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, revised 128/256GB SSD, built-in 3G/HSDPA, Glass trackpad, revised battery

Same design, same ports, internal specs update only.

Price: more than MacBookAir3,1

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
MacBookAir1,2

(#1) 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 9400M 256MB, 2GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 120 GB HDD / 128GB SSD, built-in 3G/HSDPA, Glass trackpad, revised battery

(#2) 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 9400M 256MB, 4GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, revised 128/256GB SSD, built-in 3G/HSDPA, Glass trackpad, revised battery

Same design, same ports, internal specs update only.

Price: more than MacBookAir3,1

This seems VERY possible, espeically #2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.