Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuantumEraser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2022
Hi-

My friend is still using an older MacBook (2011) but it's on it's last leg. I upgraded RAM/SSD and it has been great but he wants to run some newer software but can't as the OS is essentially stuck at Sierra (I think).

Clearly doesn't need any crazy compute power- mostly email/web/ and manuscript writing some photo work. But I am really not sure what the best path forward is anymore.

I am pretty sure an iPad Pro + a keyboard would be enough. I have 2020 iPad pro that I could sell him and then get the Magic keyboard (he does like/prefer the older mac keyboards- did not like the 2017-2020/1 butterfly keyboard on my MacBook Pro-2017).

Or get an M1 air, which would be the closest replacement. If we go this route I'd like to future proof as much as possible. But I get the feeling that these newer machines will not last 10 years like the old MacBook.

So any advice on what will be useable the longest, iPad pro+Keyboard or M1 air, would be helpful. And if the M1 Air, which configuration (RAM and Hard drive). Or maybe get a used MacBook/Air from earlier years (>2015)?

Thanks in advance.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Especially if future-proofing a concern, go with MacBook over iPad, IMHO.

And for all of the cross-pollination going on between iOS and MacOS, the built-in apps (and the available library of apps for 'real' computing) are still superior in MacOS. Plus, if there is any thought to attaching peripherals - if not at home, then when being a road-warrior - it's worth remembering not all peripherals may be Wi-Fi ready and needs that old-school cable connectivity.

Others may disagree, but there's a reason Apple's "What's a computer?" ad campaign for iPads crashed, burned, and is not mentioned in polite Apple PR talk...

And when it comes to purchasing, check out Apple's own online Refurb Store for deals. All arrive with full warranty and AppleCare is available - for significant bucks off.

QuantumEraser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2022
Thanks for the input. That's what I was really struggling with. I think my friend is the person that is at the intersection of what Apple was maybe aiming the iPad at as a laptop replacement. But now that I am actually confronted with the decision, the iPad seems like a less appealing path. I will look into the refurbs. But what about a used older model? Is that an equally viable path?

Thank you.

Last edited:

foldpages

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
United States
I have both, and I tried REALLY hard to use the iPad Pro 12.9 + Magic Keyboard as a laptop replacement, and it just doesn't work (at least for me). Even simple tasks such as editing Word/Excel documents, reattaching them to emails, moving files between apps, etc. is still very clunky. I feel like what requires 2 steps on a Mac, requires 10 steps on an iPad. If I could only have one device, it would 100% be a laptop. Not to mention that the MBA is lighter and thinner than a 12.9 iPad + Magic Keyboard.

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
From my experience, even for those light tasks I'd definitely recommend any laptop, especially the MacBook Air, which is a wonderful laptop.
Other than creative jobs or media consumption, tablets are awful for work. Tablets lack on ergonomics — even when they are compensated by great keyboards or pencils.
I've bought an iPad, which helps me with scans that I need for my current work: its cool, but nothing that a phone couldn't do it. Nonetheless, it helps a 2013 MBA
For those task you have talked, a laptop will be a much better experience, good for your back and neck, and with no need for a gym prescription :D

Last edited:

Chateaunole-du-Pape

macrumors regular
May 25, 2022
I love my iPad, but your friend's profile - especially the bit about manuscript writing - sounds more compatible with a laptop if he's going to have only one device.

I have tried for about 5 years now to get by using only an iPad Pro, but the experience simply doesn't hold a candle to that of a laptop if you're doing anything that involves editing documents, composing lengthy emails or multitasking. My MacBook Pro dates to 2009 and is virtually unusable at this point, but I still do get it out from time to time, and have been anxiously waiting for Apple to make a laptop that I wanted to buy to replace it. With the M2 Air, they finally did, and I will be ordering one when they go on sale next Friday.

Like I said, I still love my iPad and will probably continue to use it as my primary device for content consumption, but for editing, creating and working with multiple files or apps simultaneously, a laptop is really a must-have. I'm honestly stunned that I have managed to hold out as long as I have.

Reactions: wnorris and yitwail

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I have an MBA and an iPad Air. Generally, I just use the iPad as a Tablet, but the other day I used some store credit to buy the Apple Magic Keyboard. It just did not work for me. I had problems with the arrow keys. Numbers was very frustrating to use and clicking on cells was unreliable. Notes App had difficulty recognizing command cut and paste. Anyway, I took the MK back and chalked it up to another one of my failed experiments pushing the iPad beyond what it does best. My MBA just never disappoints when I need to get stuff done. My iPad is great for vacation and casual computing.

That's my experience, but I know others have had much better luck using their iPads, so YMMV.

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I have an M1 MacBook Air, as well as the M1 12.9" iPad + Magic Keyboard. I don't use the touch feature of the iPad at all, I really use it like a laptop. Dumb, I know, but its cellular capability and overall responsiveness make it very nice to use.

In addition to the comments above, I find the MacBook Air is the better overall typing experience, as the iPad + MK is just too top-heavy.

However, the screen on the iPad is noticeably better than the Air, especially the smoothness of ProMotion. I just makes every experience (both web and UI) feel so much faster. But someone coming from a a 2011 MacBook will be impressed with either.

A 14" MacBook Pro is probably the best of both worlds, although it's certainly more expensive. And still doesn't have cellular connectivity.

In summary, I feel the iPad + MK is the device I can literally grab and toss in a bag or take with me if I'm going to be out and about all day and need to do a little work or media consumption for a few hours. Sure, you can tether, but it's just so nice to open up the iPad/keyboard and start using it immediately and close it up when you're done. The keyboard acts as decent protection, so I don't worry about how/where I set it down, or casually tossing it in a backpack or in the seat of my car. MacBook Air just seems more fragile overall.,

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
A 14" MacBook Pro is probably the best of both worlds, although it's certainly more expensive. And still doesn't have cellular connectivity.
Nope
12.9" 1Tb wifi and MKB = $3,249AUD + $250 for cellular $3.5K lol
14" 16/1TB = $2980 now.

• Wow
Reactions: thv

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Nope
12.9" 1Tb wifi and MKB = $3,249AUD + $250 for cellular $3.5K lol
14" 16/1TB = $2980 now.
Apple doing folks in Australia dirty :)

Depending on how you spec each with SSD, they're either the same or $100-200 difference, in the US. I stick with the base models, so a 12.9" with 5G + MKB = $350 less than 14" MBP base model.

QuantumEraser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2022
Wow! There seems to be a consensus here. I think this confirms my feeling for this use case.
I really thought it may be possible to make the switch to iPad pro+ keyboard, but now I wonder what is the point of the all power in the iPad Pro? I'd like to be a fly on the wall when Apple is mapping out the future of these devices. Usually I can follow Apple's vision but this is a really difficult cross roads: Macbook Air vs iPad Pro. Has anyone really clearly addressed this- just curious now.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
For basic daily usage, media consumption and sofa surfing iPads are fine, if you want to do more then that, get MBA or MBP.

Best would be iPad Air or Mini plus MBA or MBP combo… ;)

JW5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2021
Like others above, I have struggled to convert to my iPad as a laptop replacement and end up using it for media consumption and web browsing, but my MacBook air for any serious work. You mention writing, I don't think there's a good substitute for a big physical keyboard. I write a lot of web content and find it hard to do on the iPad, even using a keyboard (due to latency, though it's not an official Apple product).

Even things like replying to forum threads, sometimes it's just easier to hop on to the MacBook.

But I get the feeling that these newer machines will not last 10 years like the old MacBook.

The main problem is not necessarily the quality of components but the lack of user serviceable options. My 2010 MacBook Pro managed to limp on for 10 years thanks to four battery replacements, new RAM, a new hard drive and even a new motherboard cable which I ordered from Hong Kong. I won't be able to do any of these things on my 2020 MacBook Air without significant cost for official repairs.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Since 2016 I've used a 2016 MBP for sofa/lap use and last year bought the magic keyboard for my 12.9 iPad Pro in the hope less cumbersome grabbing/putting away, etc.

Liked it at first as it is easier to grab than the large MBP, but I soon craved thinner and lighter. As the M1 Air had been out a while I patiently waited for the M2/redesign and was happy to see the the new Air.

I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on it.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Wow! There seems to be a consensus here. I think this confirms my feeling for this use case.
I really thought it may be possible to make the switch to iPad pro+ keyboard, but now I wonder what is the point of the all power in the iPad Pro? I'd like to be a fly on the wall when Apple is mapping out the future of these devices. Usually I can follow Apple's vision but this is a really difficult cross roads: Macbook Air vs iPad Pro. Has anyone really clearly addressed this- just curious now.
There are execs at my company that use iPad Pro + MK as their main device (instead of a laptop). If you're mainly viewing PowerPoint, PDFs, emails, texts and Teams calls, it does just fine.

Reactions: yitwail

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
There are execs at my company that use iPad Pro + MK as their main device (instead of a laptop). If you're mainly viewing PowerPoint, PDFs, emails, texts and Teams calls, it does just fine.
Agreed. The problems begin when you start trying to create content (media, documents, spreadsheets, etc..) and you need to move between multiple references and apps. That said, there are people that really don't need to do these things when they are on the go, so they can save the heavy lifting for back at the office desktop.

yitwail

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
Interesting answers. I think it boils down to whether or not you're using a keyboard most of the time. If so, a built-in keyboard will provide a better experience. If keyboard usage is close to 50-50, then there's a trade off between keyboard versus Mini LED+ProMotion

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
My take is to try it out. You get the 14 day return policy. Everybody has different use cases. What might not work for them, doesn’t mean it will not work for you. Also, being in the MacBook Air section, you’ll prob get mostly bias answers. So take these comments, go over to the iPad as a computer replacement thread and take in all the info. Try it out.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Heresy I know, but aside from my MBA, I picked up an 8" Amazon Fire tablet for $80 on sale, tweaked it to include Google Store and got rid of the terrible Fire adware Launcher, and consider it my 'disposable' (won't see my bank account flash before my eyes if it falls off a coffee table) daily tablet, to be tossed into a bag. Use it to view social media, news aggregators, occasional interaction with emails and Zoom, play a few games, listen to music and watch some streaming / downloaded movies when on the go.

Really all a tablet with the current crop of OSs is truly good for really. M1 on Apple's is overkill and an enormous wank.
Fancy (read pricey) apps on them are generally swell - until you actually need to use the product you create elsewhere or with other people. Then you end up longing for a 'real' computer with real software.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Our family of 4 (2 kids 12 and 19) we used to have 4 iPads at some point. We tried very hard to make them work as our primary devices, but it just didn't work for us. We now have 1 iPad for the youngest and 3 MacBooks (2 Airs and 1 Pro). Until iPads behave more like Macs, not like oversized iPhones (which might never happen) we will probably never switch back.

For someone looking for the most versatile and only device, I would not recommend the iPad, only Mac. As the 2nd device to mess with while sitting on a couch, sure, it will probably be fine.

Reactions: Dealmans

QuantumEraser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2022
Thanks again for all the input, I really appreciate it. Now I am more curious about how Apple is truly thinking about this. Like who are they really aiming the iPad Pros at, aside from artists.

Also curious about getting an older model. Worth it our not? How fast will these older models (2017-2019) become obsolete?

prisoner54

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
@QuantumEraser take what's being said above with a pinch of salt. Maybe you should put the same post in the iPad forum too and see how people answer. Because:

i) no-one has mentioned Stage Manager yet, which will be a 'killer app' for the iPad M1
ii) MGK is overpriced and there are cheaper alternatives, like a Logitech Keyboard Combo
iii) If your friend is a writer, then hooking up the iPad to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse would be the best solution for writing stints at home, meaning using a keyboard cover only when out and about in coffee shops etc.

Disclosure: I am an academic and write a lot, currently working on a textbook. I've been looking at the M1 iPad far more seriously now after WWDC demo of Stage Manager, whereas I never used my previous iPads properly for work. iPadOS always limited them so I haven't had an iPad for about 5 years. I recently sold my laptop (Intel MBPro 16) and was thinking of either getting an MBA M2 or a refurb iPad M1. But for the first time, an M1 iPad could actually do what I need, with proper monitor support and windowing. The lightness and the screen would be real bonuses, but now that iPadOS supports real multiwindow workflows I'm interested again.

Currently my only machine is an underpowered ARM-powered Surface Pro X tablet that I usually hook up to a 4K monitor for writing, but it's such a thin and light tablet that I love being able to travel with it and use a snap-on keyboard too. I'm treating this as a kind of test-run for going iPad-only when iPadOS 16 comes out. Hence very keen to read/watch reviews about Stage Manager when the public beta comes out soon.

My advice - wait for iPadOS 16 before making a decision for your friend!

Reactions: Neverbepeace

Chateaunole-du-Pape

macrumors regular
May 25, 2022
@QuantumEraser take what's being said above with a pinch of salt. Maybe you should put the same post in the iPad forum too and see how people answer. Because:

i) no-one has mentioned Stage Manager yet, which will be a 'killer app' for the iPad M1
ii) MGK is overpriced and there are cheaper alternatives, like a Logitech Keyboard Combo
iii) If your friend is a writer, then hooking up the iPad to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse would be the best solution for writing stints at home, meaning using a keyboard cover only when out and about in coffee shops etc.

Disclosure: I am an academic and write a lot, currently working on a textbook. I've been looking at the M1 iPad far more seriously now after WWDC demo of Stage Manager, whereas I never used my previous iPads properly for work. iPadOS always limited them so I haven't had an iPad for about 5 years. I recently sold my laptop (Intel MBPro 16) and was thinking of either getting an MBA M2 or a refurb iPad M1. But for the first time, an M1 iPad could actually do what I need, with proper monitor support and windowing. The lightness and the screen would be real bonuses, but now that iPadOS supports real multiwindow workflows I'm interested again.

Currently my only machine is an underpowered ARM-powered Surface Pro X tablet that I usually hook up to a 4K monitor for writing, but it's such a thin and light tablet that I love being able to travel with it and use a snap-on keyboard too. I'm treating this as a kind of test-run for going iPad-only when iPadOS 16 comes out. Hence very keen to read/watch reviews about Stage Manager when the public beta comes out soon.

My advice - wait for iPadOS 16 before making a decision for your friend!
Fair point, but there are plenty of us who do have M1 iPads Pros and have tried, unsuccessfully, to make them our sole devices. My mid-2009 MBP has been pretty useless for about 5 years, and I had hoped that the M1 iPad would be enough to prevent me from needing to buy a new computer, but I've given up and will be buying a M2 MBA as soon as they go on sale.

Even with an excellent external keyboard (Logitech ERGO K860) and mouse (Logitech MX Master 3), the experience still doesn't quite cut it, and my needs are more limited than those of the OP's friend. I am not writing manuscripts or anything along those lines; one of my very simple needs is to have a received e-mail (and sometimes a second one) as well as a document (in Files) open, for reference, while composing an email of my own. My M1 iPad Pro simply doesn't handle this well. I can have only two (very small) windows open at a time, and if I switch to another window or app, frequently the target app reboots or reloads (at the wrong location in the document), presumably because the iPad has run short of memory in the interim. I sometimes find myself pulling up a source document on my phone, highlighting and copying what I need on it, and then pasting it in the iPad. It works but is cumbersome. The whole process is quite frustrating.

Maybe Stage Manager will help with some of this, but I am not optimistic. Don't get me wrong; I absolutely love my iPad as a content consumption device. It will surely continue to serve as my primary device for browsing the web and social media, watching a game on mlb.tv, watching streaming video at the gym or while traveling, and even light photo editing, where the Apple Pencil can be really useful. But for anything involving content creation, particularly when working with multiple documents is involved, there's no substitue for a laptop.

I think having both an iPad and a relatively recent MacBook of some kind is the ideal combination, and I am looking forward to rejoining those ranks in a few weeks.

Reactions: prisoner54 and thv

prisoner54

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Fair point, but there are plenty of us who do have M1 iPads Pros and have tried, unsuccessfully, to make them our sole devices. My mid-2009 MBP has been pretty useless for about 5 years, and I had hoped that the M1 iPad would be enough to prevent me from needing to buy a new computer, but I've given up and will be buying a M2 MBA as soon as they go on sale.

Even with an excellent external keyboard (Logitech ERGO K860) and mouse (Logitech MX Master 3), the experience still doesn't quite cut it, and my needs are more limited than those of the OP's friend. I am not writing manuscripts or anything along those lines; one of my very simple needs is to have a received e-mail (and sometimes a second one) as well as a document (in Files) open, for reference, while composing an email of my own. My M1 iPad Pro simply doesn't handle this well. I can have only two (very small) windows open at a time, and if I switch to another window or app, frequently the target app reboots or reloads (at the wrong location in the document), presumably because the iPad has run short of memory in the interim. I sometimes find myself pulling up a source document on my phone, highlighting and copying what I need on it, and then pasting it in the iPad. It works but is cumbersome. The whole process is quite frustrating.

Maybe Stage Manager will help with some of this, but I am not optimistic. Don't get me wrong; I absolutely love my iPad as a content consumption device. It will surely continue to serve as my primary device for browsing the web and social media, watching a game on mlb.tv, watching streaming video at the gym or while traveling, and even light photo editing, where the Apple Pencil can be really useful. But for anything involving content creation, particularly when working with multiple documents is involved, there's no substitue for a laptop.

I think having both an iPad and a relatively recent MacBook of some kind is the ideal combination, and I am looking forward to rejoining those ranks in a few weeks.
That's really good information to know, actually. I would never have thought that memory limitations would mean reloading within apps - super frustrating. Hmm. May have to rethink this one, and go for MBA M2.

Reactions: Chateaunole-du-Pape
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.