MacBook air or iPad

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Aftashock617, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Aftashock617 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to decide between an iPad and a MacBook air. I have a desktop but no laptop. I do music as a casual hobby. Any advice is appreciated.

2. killnoj macrumors newbie

Depends on what you need to do. I personally have the iPad as a mobile browsing replacement and it's been great so far.

3. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

It really depends on your mobile needs. I found that having a Mac mini and my iPad is a great combination for my lifestyle and workload, but I don't do any work-work on my iPad. I do e-mails just fine on my iPad though... and it's a great home computer for what I do casually at home.

I sold my Air because I found that I never really used it. It was often sitting on my desk asleep.

4. Aftashock617 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I guess I do not have any immediate mobile needs at the moment. I eventually plan to attend Grad school. So I think I am just looking the best bang for the buck. I think the MacBook Air is more capable today but I am really indecisive on what I am actually going to use.

The other issue is that I am using a PC as my daily driver so I was also considering getting the Mac laptop to have best both worlds scenarios.

5. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

For the most part the dividing line between a laptop and an iPad is the content creation versus consumption. While there are a few startling exceptions, most people use the iPad purely for content consumption, web browsing, reading e-mail, watching movies, playing games, etc.... and they use a lap top for the same (but not nearly as intimate) but also content creation, writing out long e-mails, photoshop, making music, you get the idea.

Yes you can get a blue tooth keyboard for an iPad to write with, but then its an almost laptop, except the software for it tends to be on the 'light' side, tons of apps, just not as full featured as software on the laptop.

I would recommend checking out the app store for the iPad and see if you can find things that do what you want if you want to go beyond simple content consumption.

Your needs don't sound that immediate, you might be in a position to wait and see what is coming next.

6. topocalypse macrumors member

I have MBP and the iPad. Personally I would go for MBA because I need it for typing. I know you can get the keyboard for iPad but its clearly not as easy. again it depends on your needs.

I actually found the iPad useful for my stock portfolio management as it is always on and always updating graphss/status/etc.

7. Aftashock617 thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate all the feedback and I am leaning more to the Air. Will let you know what my final decision will be.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I've wanted a new MBA since 2010 when the 11" came out...I have a whitebook that's in my signature and an HP DM4 = both have SSD's in them so they are pretty fast but at 5 lbs or 4.2 lbs respectively, they are an annoyance when traveling on business.

I also have an original iPad and a "new" iPad = both were/are great devices for the time they were/are introduced...but sometimes they just feel like "I can't do enough" on them...I also have camera connection kits, keyboard cases, stand alone keyboards, etc...so they are "well equipped.

...I still want an 11" MBA but with having all my above gear, I'm waiting for the 2013/2014 models to see what Haswell or later Intel road maps will bring to the table as I have no "real" need right now!