Macbook Air or Macbook Pro - Apple amateur

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Charlotte1988, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Charlotte1988 macrumors newbie

Hello everybody

I was hoping for some advice since it would be my first Apple computer. I am excited about it but it is really hard to choose between Macbook Air 13 inch (1,86 ghz - 2gb) or Macbook Pro 13 inch (2,4 ghz - 4 gb). I have looked at a lot of different reviews on the internet and I keep on changing my mind!

First of all ; is it wise to buy this type of Macbook Pro right now, or will there be an update soon?

Second ; I'm a student so I will only use the computer for basic stuff : word, powerpoint and excell (a lot of typing and making of presentations), music, pictures, internet, a little photoshop,... No gaming or designing.

Portability is important to me, but I think Macbook Pro is also easy to carry around so that's not a defining quality. I'm just wondering if maybe it is better for me to buy the MacBook Air if there's the risk of me buying an outdated Macbook Pro...

Thanks in advance for the tips and advice! And excuse me for the english, I'm not a native speaker :)

2. MarshallRA, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

MarshallRA macrumors newbie

MarshallRA

I would go for the air, they have: Much faster boot/shut down and app launch is much faster (because of the flash storage, its crazy fast), its alot thinner and lighter (I probably would not care because I have a dell inspiron 1525, that thing is like 8 pounds and is almost 2 inches thick in the back) and it will do all the things you listed, also the air has a higher resolution display so you can fit more stuff on it (1440x900 vs 1280x800).

3. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

I don't have either, but here is the deal. (I'll be neutral since I'm not an Apple enthusiast.)

Pro: Cheaper, more hard drive for storage, and more RAM by default.
    Air: More portable, nicer resolution, and you can say you have the newest tech

I'll add more latter when I can think of some more.

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I personally incline towards the MBP.

If you work a lot in low light keep in mind that the Macbook Air does not have a backlit keyboard. If you need big storage the MBP can handle much larger hard drive and 2x the ram. If you prefer a high resolution screen and the wider ratio (which I personally hate) then the Air wins.

Much of this is preference but the Air has is limited in many respects so take that into account if this will be your only computer

5. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

a lot of people on this thread are saying the MBP is slower and the Air is much faster. and guess what they are 100% right.
    the reason is the AIR has an SSD, whereas the MBP has a HDD (one is flash storage, other is mechanical parts and disk)

so why dont you get the best of both worlds-- go for the MBP now and maybe next year or something upgrade to an SSD (by third party SSD like Intel's SSD and install it.. it would be the same as the MB Air, except you have higher processor speed and more battery life. a) a killer idea no?

oh yes as vantage point pointed out- the MBP has a back-lit keyboard.. and thats a cool want in any computer.
    i vote MBP all the way baby!

6. applepearpp macrumors regular

+1. as a student your budget won't be that roomy. a MBA is pretty much as it for the duration of time you having it. While for a MBP, you can spend 200 each year to get more ram/ replace HDD for solid state/ external drive.

also, the weight is just a matter of getting used to. a pro 13" isn't that heavy to carry around. I am in UC Davis and people bring their MBP 13 around quite often. I have a 15" and i bring it around sometimes too. MBA is light-weighted and thus is easier but really, it wasn't that difficult to begin with.

7. keaide macrumors regular

I'd also go for the MBP, unless portability is such a dominant factor for you. Sure, the MBA looks quite cool and it's brand new now, but if I had to choose a portable workhorse for daily needs, I would go for a MBP. In my opinion, the MBA makes a good secondary mobile device if I have already an iMac to store all my data and do the serious stuff.

8. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

9. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

How much harddrive storage do you need? This is really the main question if you've already decided on a 13" screen and no need for super fast processors.

If you do not anticipate accumulating digital movies and t.v. shows then I would opt for the Air. It has a better screen, is lighter, has a great battery life, etc. I would sell my 15" MBP and just use the 13" if I didn't have so many media files and programs which I no longer have the CD's to copy over.

You can always upgrade your workspace later with an external monitor. But please man, get 4 GB of Ram if you opt for the Air. This you cannot change later when you realize you need it.