Macbook Air or Macbook Pro: It comes down to the screen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KyleKlink, Aug 24, 2009.

1. KyleKlink macrumors regular

KyleKlink

I have been debating whether to buy the 13" MBP or spring the additional cash for the MBA. I don't need all of the ports on the MBP, and will only be using the notebook for web browsing, email, word documents, and very, very light iMovie work (short clips of the kids for family members maybe once a month, if that).

I wouldn't mind going for the MBP, but the glass screen worries me. It wasn't until after I took a serious look at the MBA that the glass screen on the MBP bothered me. All I can see now is myself and any light fixture behind me. I worry that this will be annoying, and render the MBP useless when outdoors.

My question is, is the glass screen on the MBP really that bad? Has anyone tried using it outdoors?

Money really isn't an issue, and the MBA is certainly a pleasure to look at. But saving a bit with the MBP wouldn't hurt any either.

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

It really depends on which you like better. The glass screen doesn't bother me at all; in fact, I like it more than regular gloss. If you have the brightness up all the way, and have no light pointing directly at the screen, you'll only see what's on screen, and nothing else. ;)

3. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

I never really notice the glare on the screen, but then again I use it in a fairly dim area. I haven't tried it outdoors yet, but I'll be sure to let you know how it goes when I do.

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I highly recommend the MBA if you plan to buy the rev B/C with SSD. If you cannot afford that, buy the MBP.

The display isn't as glossy on the MBA. Actually, from normal viewing distance it's absolutely stunning. Some of them have microscopic lines, but most of the time you have to be within a few inches of the display to see them. For normal viewing, the MBA's display is incredible.

Going to the MBA. It has a powerful Penryn Core 2 Duo CPU which is plenty fast for a normal user. Both rev B/C have the Nvidia GPU which is critical for its excellent performance (do not buy original with Intel graphics). It has 2 GB of RAM which is plenty unless you plan to use intensive apps AND run Windows virtually at the same time (Boot Camp doesn't need more than 2 GB as it doesn't share the RAM between both OSes). The SSD is really fast and nice. The weight and thinness is the most incredible part. It's a sure joy to carry around, use on the couch, and it's extremely fast when hooked up to an ACD.

I highly recommend you buy either a rev B/C MBA with SSD. The rev B 1.86 with SSD is only $1349 at Apple.com in refurbished section. The rev C 2.13 GHz with SSD is only $1549 refurbished at Apple.com. I would buy the rev C refurbished if it were me. It is a nice discount, as both are brand new (refurbished is just open box item). With rev C you get: faster CPU (exceeding the 2 GHz barrier important for some HD video apps like iTunes), better battery, GPU isn't throttled, and Network/USB cable.

Again, if you need to spend less, go with the MBP as an MBA with HDD is a dud.

Good luck...

5. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

If you have the money, go with the air [​IMG] seeing as you will never need the power of the pro.... However, the pro is cheaper and the glare on the screen really isn't noticable... if you were hypercritical then yes, you would notice it but generally, it will not bother you... Most people don't even notice it never mind, get bothered by it so really the question is not about the screen... it should just be on personal preference of power or design

6. aleni macrumors 68020

7. chan2004 macrumors regular

Go for MBP

In future, you can use it for other things also.You will never be disappointed with the performance.

I don't mind the extra weight of MBP.

8. macboy4 macrumors regular

I just switched from the MBA to the MBP, but I prefer the less glossy MBA screen. I do believe the MBP looks just a tad better in a dark room (meaning I think the display on the MBP is actually nicer when there's no glare).

I was lucky enough to have one of the MBAs without the lines (my first one had the lines, but the second didn't). I would be weary of buying an MBA just because I'd be worried about getting one with lines, but if you're more concerned about glare the MBA will be better.

9. chan2004 macrumors regular

You can always go for the matte option

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

MBP will have better resale value.

When I came to sell my MBA - it's resale value was considerably lower than I expected. I buy 3 mac computers every year and sell the older versions, and have done so for years and have never had any major issues selling on my hardware, so it was surprising that the MBA is such an awkward sell (even though I had all the accessories like the superdrive).

I would'nt buy a MBA ever again.

11. pesc macrumors regular

Not if you value portability. The 13" MBP is glossy only.