MacBook Air or MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by josephmccutchen, Mar 20, 2013.

1. josephmccutchen macrumors member

I'm deciding between buying a MacBook Air or a MacBook Pro, and it's quite difficult, for a few reasons:

1) Finances - Money is tight, and as I am overseas, and travel to other countries every few months, I have to be very careful. I could save up and even buy a rMBP by the end of July, but that leaves me basically broke, something I refuse to be.

2) Performance vs Design- I crave the performance of the MBP, but absolutely love the design of the MacBook Air - thin, light, easy to carry around. I'm no slouch by any means; had a MacBook Pro before, and it was okay to carry around.

Here is what I would use either computer for:

A. Storing around 30,000 photos (I have a DSLR camera). In regards to space, my photos right now are like 120GB, so having a 256GB SSD would be fine.

B. Video editing - every few months, I shoot HD video, import into iMovie, and then edit and render.

C. Internet, word processing, etc. - the obvious.

Inclination tells me to just save and get a MBP, but I'm using a Windows computer right now (no offense to any of you who like or use Windows, but I have nothing good to say about it). It's a real burden having to use it.

But like I said, I really like the MBA, and if I can get by with 4GB of RAM, I would be happy. Can I get by with 4GB, or do I need to go 8? (In the US, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but here in South Korea, Apple products cost around $200-$300 more than in the US.

My thought is to get the MBA as a tie-over until I can save up for a better Mac, hoping that it would "quench my thirst", so to speak. What are your thoughts on this matter? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Must you store everything in your laptop? If an external drive works, a MacBook Air should fit your needs better, IMO. The 13" pro just looks like a bad deal however I look at it.

3. josephmccutchen thread starter macrumors member

Nah, wouldn't be storing everything there; photos are the most important. I have like 300GB of video that would stay on my external.

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I really wouldn't recommend paying apple's inflated prices for extra SSD storage.

Alternatively, are you comfortable with swapping in an ssd in a MacBook Pro? It has the most storage, but I can't honestly recommend it to anyone.

5. josephmccutchen thread starter macrumors member

I had a 15" MacBook Pro 2010 before, and I had the dual SSD/HDD (Data Doubler); bought the SSD from OWC. Really liked the performance, but that's out of my price range right now.

Could be more patient and save up for a MBP, but being patient using Windows is pure agony.

6. jjhoekstra macrumors regular

I don't think there is a need to spend extra on a MBP. In daily use there is not much difference performance wise between an MBA and a MBP. The only big advantage of the Pro is that it has a far better cooling system, so it gets less hot and trottles down less during things like rendering. But the air would work. For all the other tasks the Air is more than capable enough. I would try to go for 8 Gb though to future-proof your purchase.
    I did the same by the way, first bought an Air as in-between computer and than got a full blown Pro. I still love my Air though, the fact that you can pick up a powerfull computer with just two fingers is totally irrelevant but really awesome!

7. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

No need to spring for the Pro. The Air is much better suited for your lifestyle. I would try to get a 13" with 256GB drive and, if you've got the cash, bump the RAM to 8GB. Paging to a SSD is much quicker than to a platter drive, so if the money isn't there for the upgrade don't fret too much.

I tremendously admire your resolve to not financially overextend.

8. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

If cash is tight, why not pick up a used 2011 or 2012 MBA 256GB? I'm sure someone local in S. Korea has one for sale, or is willing to ship international.

9. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Since you do video editing, a MacBook Pro might be suitable for the extra milieage. Otherwise, if your task does not involve video edits, the MacBook Air is fine.

10. josephmccutchen thread starter macrumors member

Your post is the clincher for me; I'm going for the Air, hopefully w/ 8GB RAM. Thanks for your help!

These days, one has to be so careful with finances, moreso than ever before, and because I'm an accountant, I make sure that I do my best.

We have Apple stores here in South Korea as well, and there are some good deals on refurbed 256GB MBA's; just hoping for a refurb w/ 8GB RAM, so I don't have to fork out the extra.

I only do video editing every few months, so having the Air isn't going to kill me on that note. Trust me, I did lots of video editing on a late 2007 MacBook; I made it okay with that, so the bump in CPU/RAM, and the SSD will help me a lot.