Macbook air or mini/ipad combo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TsuaSai, Sep 20, 2011.

1. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I am going to be moving to an area where there is no high speed internet. So I am wanting to sell my 15" MBP and down size to something more portable. I plan to take advantage of places that offer wifi and will get a verzion mifi thing for the house.

So I was thinking I could have a mini as my main computer and the the ipad with me on the go. Or just get an air and have one thing .

I pretty much am just a general/average user. Edit a photo once in a blue moon or family video. Mostly just email, surf the web and currently watch hulu but won't really be able to do that anymore.

I know a lot of people buy and sell here and try all kinds of combos. So thought someone might have had a little experience with all this.

Keeping the MBP and getting an ipad to solve the problem isn't really in the cards as I would be using the money from selling the MBP to make the move.

I was leaning in favor of just getting an 11" air and being done with it. But then I saw someone suggest getting a mini/ipad combo and it wasn't really anything I had considered. I suppose the main thing the mini could do is just hold more stuff like photos.

Anyways if anyone has any other suggestions I am open. My goal with the whole thing is to end up with something more portable since this will be the first time I will be using a computer on the go more. I am a stay at home mom so I don't really need a beast of a machine.

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

Go with the 11 inch air. From your posts it doesn't seem like you do enough to justify purchasing a mini. Also don't forget you've got to get the accessories that come with it, like a monitor. The 11 inch would probably be perfect. That way you can connect in your home, and on the go with miff, and take your 11 MBA with you everywhere.

3. TsuaSai thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks I am thinking just going with my gut which was a air. I do have a 17" LCD I could connect the air or mini to that matter if I ever need more screen space. Its nothing special but its a fairly nice monitor.

4. eric/ Guest

eric/

Yeah. The only thing that sorta sucks about the air and having an older monitor is that they aren't immediately compatible with Thunderbolt. Though I believe with an adapter it will work just fine.

I really think you'll be more satisfied with the Macbook Air. Get as large of a solid state drive as you can afford though if you plan on keeping this as your main computer for a long time.

5. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

I suggest MacMini and ipad

You will get more hard drive storage and wont be carrying sensitive data around with you. In addition, 11" is very small and its really stressfull when you are used to larger screens. Somewhat, the ipad doesnt give you that, cause the way you comunicate with its diferent, even tough it has a small screen.

6. jmontalto21 macrumors newbie

7. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

I have a 15" macbook pro, a mini and a iPad2 64. I very rarely use my macbook pro anymore. I travel with my iPad everywhere. My mini is hooked up to my HDTV and they are hooked up to extra 2TB drives.

8. TsuaSai thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I have only carried it in airports maybe being a small woman with a toddler in tow just feels like a lot more than I would want to deal with everyday.

Before I got a 15" I thought people were wimps that said it was to much. But after having owned one I really wish I would have got something smaller.