Macbook Air or Pro? (13 inch) Please HELP! Purchasing soon!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eahdawn, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Eahdawn macrumors member

Hey there,

first time buyer of any Macbook, as you can imagine it's daunting spending this much money on a product, so I want to make the right decision. I am starting college in the coming months and will be studying Computer Science (I know how to BootCamp and all that), and am wondering which Macbook is the best purchase?

I'm getting the baseline 13 inch Air or Pro, and will upgrade whichever one I purchase to 8GB RAM. It will be my main computer also, and portability isn't an issue for me.

ANY help appreciated, I am a complete noob when it comes to buying new computers!

2. brendu macrumors 68020

Get an air, it's got the better screen. Also I would put a password lock on it and setup 'find my Mac' in case it gets stolen which does happen occasionally in college. Good luck with it all.

3. Eahdawn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input man. I realize that the Air has a better screen, but isn't the processor much better on the 13 inch Pro? Also, the hardware seems a lot sturdier, and easier to hold as it's the same width all around, if you know what I mean. Thanks again!

4. crankmotion macrumors newbie

If you want to upgrade the memory you need the Pro. You can't do that on the Air.

Even though yo can install Bootcamp without a drive its much easier if you have one.

And the pro screen is actually great.

(Love the pro.)

5. brendu macrumors 68020

I also have the 13" pro and the screen isn't bad but the air is better. If you get the 8Gb ram upgrade it will do everything you need it to do. The processor will easily handle the tasks you will be trying to do. The SSD in the air will make a more noticeable difference than the faster processor in the pro.

However if you want to be able to add your own SSD and even more RAM later then the pro is the better machine. Neither will disappoint you.

Like I said before though with all the personal data stored in computers today I can't stress enough when moving into a college dorm to set a password and setup find my Mac.

6. jaguar451 macrumors member

I lean towards the Pro for expandibility down the road. A comparison that highlights the differences: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/faceoff-13-macbook-pro-vs-13-macbook-air/

(there are also third party kits to switch the SuperDrive for a second HDD in the Pro - can do Small SSD for boot drive; largest HDD for more storage)

7. Eahdawn thread starter macrumors member

I had a look at that article man, it has me leaning toward the Pro! Thank you for your help!

@brendu: Thank you man! As for your security concerns, I'm the same way w/ all my tech, I baby it all! In Ireland here though, there is waaaaay less of a chance of someone stealing your computer. College is a 9 to 5 thing like High School here too, so no dorms either, just go home after!

Keep rolling with the input anyway fellas, I'm interested in what everyone has to say! Thanks again!

----------

I'm seeing a LOT of comments and threads on forums saying that the screen (resolution) on the Air makes in better than the Pro, regardless of the other hardware advantages. Any Pro/Air users that use both and can tell me if there is a significant difference?