MacBook Air or Pro? (For friend)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by AppleFanatic10, Jan 30, 2014.

1. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

So, I have this friend who previously had a 2013 MBA, then returned it to Best Buy and purchased a cMBP (brand new), now she is having 2nd thoughts again and wants the MBA again. She's asking me for my advice and I already told her that she shouldn't have returned the MBA in the first place. Now she's complaining about her new cMBP only getting 2 1/2 hours of battery life. She says she wants to return this and get the air again but she's scared that she just won't be satisfied with the air again and might return it once again. What should I tell her to help ease her mind? She's still in the 15 day return period at Best Buy so she could still return it for the air again.

Thanks.

2. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

seems no matter which one she's going with, she won't be satisfied. there are people out there who want what doesn't exist. add in indecisiveness and you got a double wammy.

3. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I'd suggest it depends on what your friend is using the system for. If it's surfing/documents/music/etc then the MBA is most likely the correct pick. If she's doing some heavy duty computing the the MBP might be the right one.

If it were me I'd tell her "Make up your mind!". :)

4. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

Under very few circumstances should anyone still be buying the cMBP anyway. It's at the point of nearly being phased out by Apple. If you're going to buy a Mac it better damn well come with an SSD as well.

Tell her to return it, get the MBA, and stop worrying about it.

5. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

What was your her reason for returning the MBA in the first place?

6. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Lol. No seriously, it's not me. I would've got the retina MBP instead of the Air. You know to be honest, I think that it was buyer's remorse and she was worried about things breaking down and she wouldn't be able to fix them herself (RAM/SSD). But the thing is she bought that warranty from Best Buy so she shouldn't really worry about things breaking down because she has the extra protection, right?

----------

That's what I told her.

----------

She's not into doing any heavy stuff. Mostly she just writes papers for school, watches Netflix, facetime/imessage. Nothing fancy. I told her whatever macbook she decides to return for the last time give it to me lol. I'll gladly give her my 2010 White Macbook.

7. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Given her use cases, definitely the MBA. IMNSHO, of course... [​IMG]

8. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Thanks. I'll talk to her later tonight and see if she's made up her mind on what she's going to do. She did tell me last night that her sister has a PC and she'll just use that to do any intense work. Which she probably won't be doing any for her major.

9. esskay macrumors 6502

Curious, why not get Applecare instead?

10. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I guess because she's afraid of doing something stupid like spilling water or dropping it and she knows that AppleCare won't fix it if she does damage to her laptop.

11. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

I'd absolutely go with the MacBook Air.

It's got fantastic battery life and it handles CPU and even GPU intensive tasks pretty well. I played with the latest MacBook Air and retina MacBook Pro models side-by-side, and certain CPU tasks were only slightly faster on the MacBook Pros than on the MacBook Air. GPU wise, I think the MacBook Air is actually more capable. Animations were noticeably smoother on the Air than the Pro, and it didn't stutter at all even on 4K video.

12. AppleFanatic10 thread starter macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Yea, she's still going back and forth. I told her just return the Pro and get the air, since it seems like that's what she really wants; but she's going to hold out until Tuesday and see what she's going to do.