Macbook air or pro

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by belthar92, Dec 10, 2013.

1. belthar92 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new in the forum. I read many posts, but i wanted to open a new post for my decision. I want to buy a new macbook, it will be the 1st for me, I will buy the mac for programming application (xcode, corona sdk and android sdk with related IDE and text editor) and some graphics editing. I'm confused about the decision I have to take because before the new macbook pro late 2013 came out I wanted to buy the mac book air i5/8gbRam/512gb ssd because I need to utilize an external monitor, so I can't buy a thunderbolt external hd. After I read the macbook pro issues (lag) with retina display on 13" I'd have chosen the macbook air but there is another problem because i have a doubt: it's better i5 or i7 on MBA same config for both (8gb ram and 512 ssd)? Is really true the problem with temperature and fans accellerator? Difference about battery life between both processors? Thank you so much for answer

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

For programming and such there's no difference to speak of between i5 and i7. The retina has a better screen. You can get an i5/8gb/512SSD 13" retina for $ 100 less than i7/8gb/512SSD Air 13".

If you're going to be attaching externals the retina would look better.

the lag and temperature problems are not nearly as widespread as you might think. People open threads and complain when they have problems, not so much when things are going fine.

3. belthar92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi and thanks for your answer, people wrote in many post (specially apple discussion, and some other internet forum) i read about macbook pro retina issues with display (lag), especially on the optimization of some web site and graphics program, i wouldn't wait some months that apple solve the problem or software house work on software to optimize the high resolution, so i prefer to go with MBA, my only question is if is better configure the i7 or i5 processor? I'm going to keep this mac for 4-5 years and it's my main laptop so i need to configure it for my future.
    Thank you so much!

4. WildCard^ macrumors regular

I Xcode as a hobbyist on a 2008 blackbook with 4GB ram.

Anything you buy, i5 or i7, will work smoothly for you for years and years.

5. belthar92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, are there some problem with temperature and battery life between i5 and i7? What's the difference in performance of both processors? Some tip please for this decision :) Thank so much!

6. JoeRito macrumors 6502

JoeRito

Get yourself a nice retina 13 Mac book pro... Best device for the money in the history of mankind!

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

I don't think there's much difference in battery life/temperature.

You can find performance charts for i7 vs i5, but the differences show up mostly in compute-intensive tasks. For programming, either one would be fine.