MacBook Air or Yoga Pro 2

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dj64Mk7, Jan 21, 2014.

?

Which laptop?

1. MacBook Air

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Lenovo Yoga Pro 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dj64Mk7, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

Right now, I'm in the process of saving up for a new computer, and I’ve gotten my choices down to two laptops. The laptops I’m trying to decide between are the MacBook Air and the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. Obviously, they’re priced about the same, so that isn’t the issue. Instead, I think it’s more of an issue with value/dollar. The primary reason I’m thinking about trying Windows is just for a change of pace.

I primarily use my cMBP for things like sending emails and browsing the web, with very occasional usage of apps like iPhoto and Garageband. In addition, I also do some occasional development in Xcode. For the record, I can live without any three of those apps if I need to, because they’re not crucial to life or anything like that.

Based on the information I just provided about myself, and the value that each laptop presents, which laptop would you personally recommend for me?

EDIT: Should I consider a rMBP? Also, my total budget is probably $1,500, but is realistically $1,000.

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I recently went through a very similar experience. I bought a Yoga 11S, took it home, and within 24 hours I was so frustrated with it that I took it back to the store. I ended up buying a 13" rMBP and I love it.

The Yoga hardware is great. Windows 8 isn't horrible, but it was like a death by a thousand cuts to me, with so many little things that kept going wrong. Ultimately I decided that if I was going to spend the kind of money I was for these units, I wanted something that made me smile, not pull my hair. I'll give Windows 8 another shot -- just with a $300 device rather than a $1000 one.

So ultimately I think it will depend on how much you like working with Windows 8.

3. Dj64Mk7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Let me reiterate this: you're saying something like "the hardware is just as great as a MBA, but software is what makes all the difference." Correct?

4. kelon111 macrumors 6502

The Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro will have worse warranty service than the MacBook Air.

5. Dj64Mk7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But those of us that use these forums (stereotypically) don't need to call companies for software support, right?

6. ImperialForces macrumors member

If you want to experience Windows, buy a copy (or pirate it if that's your thing) and install it on your current computer via boot camp. If you end up liking it more than OS X (I highly doubt you will), then go for the Lenovo.

I run windows on a tricked out iMac... It sucks. Hard.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

The Yoga 2 Pro certainly has a nice high-resolution IPS display. I'd say it was more comparable with the rMBP than the MBA. The MBA's screen isn't that great.

Apple's got the aluminum unibody design but the Yogas are pretty solidly built too. And of course the Yoga has the touchscreen and the fancy flipping hinge. Lenovo have some of the best keyboards in the Windows world, but I think the IdeaPad keyboards are a tiny step below Thinkpad keyboards.

I would say that for hardware specs and build durability, the two machines are certainly comparable. The MBA has an edge on battery life but the Yoga 2 Pro isn't too bad. (My Yoga 11S only lasted 4-6 hours; that was one of the factors that made me design to return it for the rMBP. The rMBP is giving me 9-11 hours.)

8. Dj64Mk7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I would be connected to a power source most of the time, the Yoga would be good, right? But, if I was going to be using the computer for school or something like that, I'd wanna go with the Air?

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

If battery power was a primary concern, yes, the Air beats the Yoga. People have reported 12-15 hours with MacBook Airs. I think the Yoga gets 6-8, which objectively isn't bad but it doesn't compare to the Air. But, the Yoga has that retina display and the touchscreen. So, which would you prefer?

For basic sitting-on-your-desk work, like browsing, Facebook, email, Office, I bet they'd both be great. The Air's strength is battery life (and OS X software). The Yoga's strength would be having that touchscreen and the ability to turn into a (heavyish) tablet.

10. Bear macrumors G3

Going with a Windows laptop means you need to run AntiVirus software which brings its own issues and performance hits.

And as for the software you sometimes use, but could live without, why cut off software you use? You might decide you miss this software after it's too late to return the windows laptop.

11. blue-fireball macrumors member

Buy the MBA and run Windows in a Parallels VM. Avoid native Windows like the plague. If you are looking for PC games, then don't get a laptop anyways.

12. Dj64Mk7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the suggestion, but this isn't what I'm looking for. First, that's $187 in costs, on top of the computer itself. Second, the performance hit it would take by running a VM isn't something I admire. Third, I don't really want to run Windows on a Mac, because it doesn't really work (no touch screen, etc.)

13. Dj64Mk7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's strange, how I love OS X and yet I want a break from it. My Dad has a 3rd Office 2010 license I could use, so that's not really an issue (except for the inferiority to iWork, ha.)

In all seriousness, I could probably do without the crazy-good battery life because I use my iPad for all my school stuff. Actually, that brings up another question. How well does iOS work with SkyDrive (or how well does Windows work with iCloud)? Would it be a big hassle to use the iPad with SkyDrive or the PC with iCloud (for things like Pages documents, Evernote notes, etc.)?

14. MegaToasty macrumors newbie

I think what the issue here is someone that is not familiar with Windows or more specifically Windows 8. Windows 8 is not the best OS and to be honest I put Mac OS X on par with it. Linux is better than both IMO.

When it comes to comparing the Yoga Pro 2 to the Macbook Pro I've been looking at this my self as I'll be getting a new laptop soon for school. I'm going to be majoring in computers but what specifically I do not know. My current thought is something like systems admin.

First, the Yoga Pro 2 should not be compared to the Macbook air. If you don't know that then you don't know a lot about PCs or you have simply not looked at specs at all. Yoga pro 2 has an I7, 8gb ram, 3200 x 1800 13 in display which is better than the Macbook Pro with retina which is only 2560 x 1600. It's also touch screen and convertible for tablet mode. I suspect that soon the Macbook pro will be sporting touch screen soon if not this year. Yosemite looks like an iphone OS.

Anyone here familiar with a similar degree have any input on whether I should buy a mac or windows pc?

15. kupkakez, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I have an IT degree graduated in 2012, so recently. If you don't mind Bootcamp then you can go with either or. Any software you may use for a class may be windows only, so keep that in mind.

16. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

I would go with the MacBook Air, if you have to, you can Bootcamp with Windows on it

17. joshdammit macrumors 6502

You do know that a "warranty" isn't software support, right?

----------

It sounds like you're trying to rationalize getting the Yoga Pro, by asking for advice from a Mac forum. Not really sure what you really want us to say.

Put Windows on your current Mac and spend time using it in Bootcamp (or what have you,) and see how you like it. If you find yourself heading back to OS X often, imagine how you'd feel on a laptop that has nothing but Windows on it.

Also, FWIW the Yoga 2 has Intel 4400 graphics, whereas the new MBAs have Intel 5000. I don't know if that means anything to you or not.

----------

Right. What you're looking for is somebody to tell you to buy the Yoga. It sounds like that's what you want. Bootcamp is free, so that cuts down in costs.

Windows works just fine on a Mac. But you want to run Windows 8 in tablet mode, which makes sense because it's atrocious in anything but that. So you want a tablet. But don't you have an iPad?

Fine. I'll tell you what you want to hear: Buy a Yoga 2.