Macbook Air or.......?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Carrotty, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Carrotty macrumors newbie

Okay i know the macbook pro vs macbook air topic has been asked thousands of times but please make me feel more decisive before i get one of those 2 (13 inch for either).. besides i have other questions too..

Alright so this is the first notebook i'm going to own, and i have decided to go for OSX over windows (or i would have gotten the ASUS) and now i'm leaning towards the macbook air mainly because of its 'sexy' look, and also because i don't play computer games. I need it for mainly work, music, movies, some photos, chatting and not much video edititing.. I also like how it is so portable compared to the MBP. My only concern is whether the 128gb will be enough for me in the long run. I somehow feel i'd be fine since i've been using my Dell desktop for 5 years and have used only around 80-90gb. And please can anyone answer some of my questions?

- Is the base MBA is good enough for me cause i want to spend as little as possible.
    - How long will the battery actually last after a year or two (someone who used the 2011MBA answer please? thanks)
    - List me the accessories i would most likely need for MBA?
    - Major disadvantages of a macbook air? (i'm concerned about its performance.. especially after a couple of years)
    - Will the MBA last me for at least 4 years? I don't intend to get a new one that soon..

And if any of you guys think that i really should get the macbook pro instead, feel free to voice your opinions, it's welcomed :) Sorry if it's really long, but i want to get what's best for me! You don't have to answer some of the questions you might not know the answer to but still, thanks in advance!

2. Carrotty thread starter macrumors newbie

Ding dong....

Anyone there to help me out please...? =(

3. currahee2100, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

currahee2100 macrumors member

I know how you feel, especially given that for me I have 6TB of total space on my Windows desktop.

I went with a Macbook Air 2012, thinking 128GB will be enough. Later on I bought a DVD drive and was thinking about buying an external... so I was like this is stupid I'll get a Pro instead.. which I did.

It's hard to shoot how much drive space you will actually need... what do you have on your desktop? 90GB though, leaves around 20-30GB on the SSD. So either go with a 256GB MBA (Which I think is the worst value for the money) or a 500GB Base 13" Pro.

I got the i7 13" Pro, mainly because for $300 you get a little better CPU, double RAM, and 50% more hard drive space. Definitely a better use of $300 than just doubling the SSD.

My advice is to just go ahead and buy the air, and see if you have a feeling of wanting to buy an external as well as a DVD burner. If you do, then you should probably just get a pro. Remember Apple has a 2 week return period!

I know there are resolution differences, but honestly you won't notice it that much. Things don't look "pixelated" on the pro than the air, like some reviews point out- you only notice it when you have your nose in front of the screen. You will notice that there's less usable space though, but for me I don't think it's a big deal.

The air is a fine machine, but I notice heat less on my Pro. The keys don't burn my fingers. Also the keys are little more "sturdy" on the pro- it definitely feels different. I feel that the i5 is sufficient enough for web browsing. When it turbos, it can achieve a maximum of 2.6GHz for dual cores and 2.8GHz for single core. If you want a little more oomph, the i5 in the Pro offers a base clock speed of 2.5GHz and turbos to like 3.1Ghz single and 2.9GHz turbo or something like that. And the i7 13" has a baseline of 2.9GHz and turbos to 3.4Ghz dual/3.6Ghz single.

The battery should be okay for many years. At the end of the day it's still a lot longer lasting than most laptops on the market.

4. Carrotty thread starter macrumors newbie

@currahee2100

Thanks for the advice. I do already have a 500gb external HDD so i don't need to buy one, 90gb on my desktop consist mainly of useless things I hardly ever use so I should be able to free much more space ...as for the SuperDrive (DVD drive), I will consider whether i would need it frequently cause i can get a non-apple cheap one if I have to use it occasionally..

As for the heating part, does the MBA cause serious heating that it feels really hot on the keyboard? If that is so, I might reconsider getting an air.. And when you say that the battery life will be fine for a couple of years you mean for the mbp, or also the MBA? Thanks