macbook air "other" storage

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by AznTakumi, Jul 9, 2012.

1. AznTakumi macrumors regular

I just wanted to know how big is everyone's "other" on there storage?
    Mine is 15.13gb.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

3. silverjam macrumors regular

My Other is 51.84GB.

But I think it is that big because of Parallels.

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

My other on the MBA is 30.3 GB. It's meaningless to compare against other users. We might as well be comparing shoe sizes.

5. silverjam macrumors regular

I agree.

Other does't mean anything. It simply means the files that don't fall within the standard categories the OSX came up with. They are still mostly App related files such as my Parallels.

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It depends. Most of what is reported as other is usually the operating system itself (for most users).

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I have almost 75GB of 'other', which is mostly .mkv rips of movies which OSX doesn't realize is a movie.

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

That's exactly what I was referring to above by the qualifier "most users". If OSX does not recognise the file into the user friendly categories, then it lumps it into "Other". Most users don't keep mkv files. I happen to have 3.5 TBs of them. :)

9. 7010 macrumors newbie

So the "other" files contain all the OS files as well, right? What's the absolute minimum of "other" files?

Because 2 days ago I had just 270 MB of "other". This must have been a bug if it also contains the OSX files, correct?

But I had 20 GB of Video, which was about 15 GB too much. As I spent an hour to search for these supposed videos I found them in Spotlight. They were aliases of videos that I had in the past removedthat I couldn't remove. Then they suddenly disappeared, now I have 5gb of video but 15gb of other. And I can't for the life of me find these files anymore.

I am confused.