Macbook Air - Overheating, Fan issue and battery problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Geoff.D.B, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Geoff.D.B macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a mid 13inch Mid 2012 Macbook Air - i7 version.

Recently I have noticed the laptop keeps overheating on my lap and the fan is on constantly with even simple things like web browsing. I purchased the i7,8GB ram version and surely web browsing can't be a big task for the laptop. Also the battery life has dropped a crazy amount. I've lost hours on the battery life. The battery capacity has dropped to 86 percent as shown Here in my battery health stats.

I did a SMC reset and I ran an Apple Hardware test(Extended Version) and it found no problems.

Any one able to help? There's no Apple stores in my country so I can't just bring it in.

2. cyber16 macrumors 6502

I doubt this is the problem, yet may as well check.

Check Activity Monitor to see what Kernel_Task is using for CPU %
    If it is high, as in over 5%-100%+, try a safe mode boot, if it drops back down to .5% - 1.8% or so
    Then you may need to disable BOOM or some other software may be causing the issue. A hardware failure can also cause a high Kernel_Task problem

Normally high Kernel_Task does not actually create extra cpu heat, it's just throttling the cpu

3. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Honestly, I've seen SMCs not take before. Try doing a reset, start up. Shut down, reset, repeate a couple times.

You could also just pull the bottom case, disconnect and reseat the battery if you're feeling brave. Also, half the time if I've got a system in the shop with odd power issues that SMC resets aren't resolving, a physical battery pull will resolve it.