Macbook air owners--do you use an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ben Kitchen, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Ben Kitchen macrumors newbie

I have a 13 inch macbook air. Not to sound rude, but I bought an iPad 2 and did not like the screen, took it back. I am thinking about an iPad 3, but wonder if I would even use it. I prefer my Kindle touch for E-reading. I am not a facebook user. I use my iPhone for a few games, youtube, email, surfing. I use my macbook air to write my novel, surfing, ext.

Second question
    Does anyone use an attachable keyboard with their iPad or are those a joke.

I am having trouble understand what kind of experience I am missing on the iPad. It would be interesting to hear from macbook air users.

2. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Instant on. Much much more apps than anything Kindle has to offer. Hey listen, I am in the same boat. Also couldn't understand the need for an iPad. Until I got one. And then my use of my MBA has decreased some 80%! When I am on the road, I sometimes take my iPad, sometimes (when I need some more processing power and screen real estate for things like excel), I will take the MBA. But most of the time now, the MBA is sitting at home, used by the wife and kids. The iPad goes everywhere with me. And I hear what you are saying about the iPhone. Nice. But it is not 11". Size DOES matter

3. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Iam not a macbook air user but I love to use my MBP13 along with my iPad for University. This is why i bought the iPad. The entertainment stuff is just additional benefit.

Attached Files:

4. x5tuu macrumors member

I have an 11" MBA my2011 and have an ipad2 and use both a large amount

I don't mind either screen and don't have a keyboard for the iPad, I just use the onscreen one.

The iPad is used for a variety of things from the web and forum use to health tools for work and GTA (of course!)

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I got a macbook air because it was my main computer, and an iPad with its limited storage and essentially going obsolete after two years turned my away.

that being said I would use a KB with my iPad.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Fact is, not everyone has a use for an iPad, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I use my iPad to read books, surf the web, a few games, and it's my main personal information manager. I hardly use the calendar or contacts on my computer any more. I also never took to e-ink, the grey on grey gives me a headache. But if you are happy with the kindle, then maybe an iPad is redundant.

I do own a MacBook Air, but it's by far the least used device I own. For most everything I use my iPad, and then my iMac if a task is beyond the iPad. I only keep the Air because every once in a while, I need to work on Word while I'm out and about, with documents that require precise formatting that's a pain to do on the iPad.

As for Bluetooth keyboard, I find that it detracts from the portability of the iPad, which IMO is its best feature. I like that I can whip out the iPad almost anywhere and just start reading or tapping, and to use the iPad with a keyboard, you have to find a place to prop up the iPad, and then figure out where to position the keyboard. So if I really need a physical keyboard while away from my desk, that's when I take out my Air. For everything else, I prefer the iPad.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

13" MBA and ipad2, use them both, although my iPad has become more of a games machine now.

8. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

iMac, 11" MBA and iPad 2. The iPad is with me almost all the time. Using a combination of Evernote, Goodreader and some other apps, the iPad has all of my key business and personal data. Wouldn't want to live without it. I think the utility you get out of an iPad just depends on which apps you use.

My MBA, on the other hand, hardly ever gets used. Only take it on the road, and even then only if I think I'll be doing some serious work that I can't do on my iPad.

9. turbotoes macrumors regular

I've a 13" mid 2011 MBA and an iPad 1. Both get used a lot, there is some cross over but I would not want to give either up. They both get used for work and play (though not for games, as I have my i7 windows box for those)

10. jojoba macrumors 68000

I have a MBA 13" and an iPad 2. I use both of them a lot, mainly for work.

I mainly use my iPad for reading and annotating pdfs, and all kinds of note taking. I carry my entire research around with me on the iPad which is extremely convenient. I also use it for reading emails, web browsing, and mind mapping. When it comes to note taking and pdf annotation, I greatly prefer my iPad to my MBA because of the possibility of using a stylus. I also love the portability and the long battery life of the iPad, the latter makes it a more predictable tool for me in terms of working on the go. Like the OP, I prefer my e-reader for reading novels, but when I work with pdfs the functionality of e-readers isn't good enough for me and the iPad has some really great pdf apps.

I have a LogiTech keyboard for my iPad which doubles as a case. It's not as comfortable to write on as the keyboard on my MBA, but it does the job as far as I'm concerned. I don't always carry the keyboard with me, but bring it along when I know I'll be taking large amounts of notes or be away from my desktop or laptop for long periods of time.

I use the MBA both at home and in the office for 'larger' pieces of work, when I work with multiple apps at the same time, when I need more screen, and when I need specific apps that are not on my iPad (e.g. Scrivener).

11. harveyza macrumors newbie

What is that app on your iPad

I've been thinking about getting an iPad, but have been a bit dubious about handwriting on it. Anyone know what app that is/what is that app, iPhysicist. It would be the sort of app that would tip me towards getting one.

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

What app is that?

13. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

I sold my iPad for a Macbook air...I love it:D It's connected to a 24" monitor while at home.

14. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

I think it's notes plus

15. jojoba macrumors 68000

There are lots of apps that offer handwriting features. I use Notability and 7notes HD, but there are tons of others out there.

16. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

No, its Notability. I used Notes+ for a couple of days and regret the buy. Notability is far more superior after the recent update.

17. F-Stop macrumors member

F-Stop

I own a late 2011 11" MBA which i love. I sold my ipad2 to help fund the purchase of the Air but i really do miss it. So, i've decided to buy either the ipad3 when its released or possibly a kindle fire (when we finally get them here in the Uk) as it would be the portability which attracts me most. The fire has the advantage over the iPad for both portability and price but the iPad has all those wonderful apps which i love. I guess i shall wait until they are both available and then will make my mind up. I could not get rid of my Air though as i love using it :D

Cheers,

Andy

18. GeekGuys macrumors regular

One of each!

Ignoring work stuff for now (as that varies on the client I am working at) I have an iMac at home with dual 24" monitors that is great for video and working at home as I like multiple desktops.

I have a 13" MBA 2011 which I use when travelling

I have an iPad that I use for travelling entertainment (movies etc) and at home for surfing and emails only. Kids use it more at home playing Angry Birds HD ('cos HD is better, obviously!) and the occasional homework task.:D

Each has a different purpose and function and I don't consider them to be a replacement for each other unless you are only using something that can be served better by another.
    For example, if I only consumed content (video, audio, email, web etc) then the iPad would be more than enough on its own. However, video editing, multi-tasking, client VPN connections etc are better served by OSX.

----------

In answer to your other questions, the keyboard on the iPad is not a joke. They look and feel rather good. However, the advantage of the iPad (and what you are 'missing') is that when you dont need a keyboard, which is most likely most of the time, you can just use the screen.

With a laptop, the keyboard is always there.... not great when reading books, watching video, playing Stupid Zombies (check it out... very compulsive).

Only you can decided what it is you need your device for and how you will use it. If it works for you, then it is the right answer.

19. shootingstar64 macrumors regular

shootingstar64

May i point you to this thread?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1297074

might answer some, if not all your questions.

20. Oldandintheway macrumors member

My iPad Mirrors my Air

I do all the photo editing, movie and music purchases and ripping (the CDs and DVDs I own), and video creations on my MBA and mirror it on the iPad. I like the MBA because it sits in my lap and connects to a network hard drive I have in the house. I sync it to my iPad and take the iPad with me. I also have an iMac but I'd rather not sit at a desk at home. I sit at a desk all day at work.

21. Mortalias macrumors 6502

Mortalias

I am both a MacBook Air and iPad 2 owner. I use my iPad (along with a bluetooth mini keyboard) to take notes in college, and I keep the Air on a computer desk at home.

At home, I exclusively use the computer for surfing, word processing, etc. At times when I need to study, I use the iPad to supplement the computer and it works really well. I also have tons of games and other apps that I use on the iPad for entertainment purposes only.

All in all, each has their own unique selling points in my opinion.

22. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Loved my iPad and used it daily... until I got 13" MBA. Now iPad is now and then and MBA is daily. Even for a post reply as short as this, MBA is SO much easier/faster.

23. RoyWill macrumors member

I used both MBA and ipad 2.. totally different and ipad still cannot replace MBA or other laptop

24. jasper2012 macrumors newbie

ipad is more lighter than macbook,it depends on your useage of them

25. eurobum macrumors member

A novel? Then I hope that wasn't supposed to say "etc."