MacBook Air Owners that Switch to Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ipodlover77, Aug 25, 2012.

1. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Not sure if there are a billion threads out but Im a macbook air owner that is thinking about moving to the air.

Has any former MBA users felt that the retina is too big or too heavy (1.5 pound increase). If you switched from the air to the retina, has the transition been seamless or is it a bit hard to get accustomed to the retina because of the increase in weight and overall footprint.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

If a 1.5 pounds more is an issue you have bigger problem either buy some dumbbells or hit the gym :)

3. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Well to be fair, that 1.5 does come in to effect when you have multiple text books in your bag.

4. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

That depends on how far you are carrying your computer. From the desk to the car and back, and all around the school campus are two very different things.

5. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Really? Your main concern to switching is the added weight? Come on man!

6. Macral macrumors member

I switched from MBA 13 to rMBP last month. At first, the difference in size and weight were definitely noticable. After a week or so, I actually don't feel any. Just give yourself a bit of time to adjust.

7. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Thanks for answering! At the end of the day, are you 100% satisfied with the switch?

8. Scuba-EMT macrumors regular

Scuba-EMT

I made the switch from a MBA 13" three weeks ago, as an earlier poster said it took several days to adjust. I use a wheeled Brenthaven bag, so I do not feel the weight difference (before the pundits start, I am retired Army with a combat injured back, I do not carry anything), but there was some adjustment to the larger screen. But now that I am settled in, I love this notebook! From a capabilities perspective, you are making a huge leap forward.

9. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

It surely takes some getting use to not only for the weight but the footprint as well. Both are still wonderful machines. I'll more than likely figure out how to best utilize both.

10. Macral macrumors member

Yeah I am, especially because of the processing power and the retina screen.

11. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

I don't have retina MacBook pro but my SISTER does , she also has a MacBook air trust if she can carry it every where I don't see how any guys complain

12. Meever macrumors 6502a

footprint would be more notable than the weight I think.

It's several cubic inches it's taking up.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I used to own an 11" MacBook Air and I still have my 15" MacBook Pro.

The MacBook Air was very light, but a bit light on power. Also the battery life was only 4-5 hours which wasn't that terrific.

The 15" MacBook Pro is very powerful and the weight isn't that bad once you get used to it. Compared to many other 15" computers on the market, it's excellent.

Then I got a MacBook Pro with Retina display. Sure it's nothing like the 11", but the power and performance heavily outweighs the extra weight. In fact, I think due to the overall thinness, the MacBook Pro with Retina display doesn't feel at all heavy. I very much enjoy it.

14. mac jones macrumors 68040

There's a difference with the 11" obviously. The 11" is a different experience
    entirely. If I had to lug one around a campus I definitely would want a 11".

The 11" is very personal and you can comfortably use it for hours on end in your lap as an ereader. And it also does everything else really well. Of course the Retina is a much more pleasurable and productive experience while your using it, but after a while on your lap your going to be shifting around a little; but it's not very heavy, just not exactly an ultralight. It's not a very good ereader though IMHO. I would use my Kindle, but with the 11" it's either/or (it's nice now, as they auto sync pages-very cool stuff)

I don't have to lug them anywhere and I would have a hard time choosing.
    I'd probably take the Air. You really have to use one of these for a while to see.

15. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Not cubic, actually, but we get your point :)

16. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

So the general consensus of former air users is that they never want to go back to the air? that the increase in weight is worth it for the performance?

in other words, 100% content and not looking back.

----------

Oh and lastly,

has anyone found it too large when carrying it to school or fitting it on those small tables/desk?

17. iaymnu macrumors 6502

i don't use my MBA anymore. The weight is not an issue after a day or two of adjusting. I study ISE @ SBU and no problem fitting on the small tables at lecture sessions. If I do need books, I usually hold them and not in my pack. The rMBP is a godsend for me when doing any work in dba over the air.