Macbook Air & Photography

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by libertyranger10, Aug 22, 2011.

1. libertyranger10 macrumors member

Hello,

When my new Macbook Air comes in, I plan on getting into photography once again. So I have a question...

I plan on using aperature since I have some experience in iPhoto. Does the new base model 13" Macbook Airs run Aperature well? I assume so, but just want to check with any current Macbook Air users who are running the program.

Thanks

2. misterneums macrumors 6502

I believe Hooligan stated that he was having some issues with A3. However other people have said that it works just fine.

I've been using my screen to make minor edits in Lightroom 3 and in CS5--but if you're getting serious about it, you may want to invest in an external monitor.

Edit: The issue seemed to be with A3 and Lion, not the Air.

3. libertyranger10 thread starter macrumors member

I have an 23" HP 1080p External monitor I use for my gaming PC. It's an HP 2310m model.

How is the external 27" Apple monitor? Is it good for photo editing? It would seem like a nice addition to the Macbook Air considering it has Thunderbolt and all.

----------

Also, I thought Aperature would be a good choice because I like the apple ecosystem. I can order prints straight from the program. I did this a lot on my old iMac with iPhoto.

4. macrat macrumors regular

Before you buy Aperture, try out Lightroom 3 first and then decide. I have both and I prefer Lightroom. They're both excellent but it's a personal issue.

LR should work with Macbook Air (I'm getting mine in two days). It even worked fine with my 5 year old Macbook (w/ 2GB RAM) compared with Aperture.

5. misterneums macrumors 6502

I don't have an Apple Display. Some users really like them, others dislike them due to the glossy screen. I think if I were to spend good money on an IPS screen, I would like to get the TB screen just due to all the additional bonuses of it being a docking station for the air.

Lightroom runs like a dream on my 13" Air.

6. libertyranger10 thread starter macrumors member

Unless I'm not seeing it right, Lightroom is 300 bucks. Aperature would be free for me since I have an iTunes gift card. Is it worth 300 dollars to get lightroom, or are the two programs compatible and it really just comes down to preference. Having no experience in either, I would be learning the programs either way. I figure Aperature would be best since it's free for me.

7. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

I think Apperture 3 works the best with iphoto and Lion. You can download a 30 day trial of A3 and see how it works before buying. I have not had any problems with it running on LIon. I have gone back to iphoto because it seems to work best for my needs of working with old photos. Also it has been 40years since I have worked with photography and I have forgotten alot of how to use the different settings and I find it too complex for my chemo brain. :rolleyes:

8. iTiki macrumors 6502

I have not had any issues running Aperture3 on my 2011 Air. Plug-ins work perfectly, too. I'm sure the 2012 Airs perform even better.

9. macfly4 macrumors member

macfly4

aperture works fine on mine but , strangely enough, iPhoto sucks donkey balls.
    any kind of editing brings up beach balls and is basically unusable. i have deleted all the photo permissions without any effect. maybe its just mine but can't use it.

10. misterneums macrumors 6502

I barely did anything with iPhoto before installing L3 and CS5, however I didn't have any issues with it.

11. Gator Bob macrumors regular

Lightroom 3 is now $149.95 at Amazon. Clearly, Lightroom 4 is imminent but at at 50% off LR3 is an attractive deal.

12. lcseds macrumors 6502a

The Student/Teacher edition is down to $59.95 this morning on Amazon. Thought I had a good deal at $100 a month ago....

13. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Can I get some opinions on performance using Aperture (editing RAW), Photoshop and Illustrator on the 2011 11" ultimate vs. 2011 13" ultimate? I realize real estate on the 13" trumps but if I can manage on the smaller screen, would I see much of a performance hit?

14. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Bump