Macbook Air - power adapter won't charge

PapaPiccolino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
Hi all. We purchased a new macBook air (2019 13 inch) for my daughter just before Christmas. Purchased direct from an Apple Store. All was fine. We went on holidays after that for a couple of weeks, and upon returning today, my daughter realised that the power adapter no longer works. Both computer and power adapter were stored in a cupboard in our absence. This is a fairly big problem since the laptop will be unusable once the battery loses charge.

I have tried swapping the USB-C cable for another, and I have tried swapping the "prong end" of the adapter with another, but neither of these work (in Australia, the prongs of the charger can be removed from the charger itself.) I have also tried zapping the PRAM (old school trick) and also booting in safe mode, bit these also did not work.

I'm just wondering if there are any other things I can try at home before I trudge back to the Apple Store to sort it out.

Thanks.

darkmatter343

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2017
Toronto, Canada
No matter. I solved it. Resetting the SMC did the trick.

Thanks
Even if the issue repeats itself and you're able to again use the reset SMT to get it working, I'd take it back to the Apple store. This isn't normal behavior and if it was me, I'd have it exchanged or at the very least looked at. At any rate you should do that before the 1yr warranty is up.

PapaPiccolino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2015
Even if the issue repeats itself and you're able to again use the reset SMT to get it working, I'd take it back to the Apple store. This isn't normal behavior and if it was me, I'd have it exchanged or at the very least looked at. At any rate you should do that before the 1yr warranty is up.
Thanks darkmatter343. Yes, I was thinking that myself. The computer will be my daughter's school computer, so it should get a good work out over the next couple of months. I'll be watching very closely.

Thanks